Saturday, August 02, 2008

Market Report: 8/2/08

Knowing how much kitchen work I would have on what promised to be a warm day, I headed to the farmers' market very early this morning, arriving well before opening.

Most of the farmers were still busy setting out their produce, but they were happy to chat as they worked, and when I could lend a hand, I did. Not being in a rush, I was more than happy to linger and talk while I eyed all the good fruits and vegetables coming out of their trunks and trucks.

Since I'd picked up a large selection of produce from my CSA share on Wednesday, I limited my purchases today:


--a quart of Early Girl tomatoes from the Lady Bountiful's parents (filling in today), plus a purple pepper they gave me out of the kindness of their hearts
--cucumbers, garlic, and two pints of ground cherries from the Cheerful Lady
--half a dozen ears of bicolor corn from the Amish Farmer
--a quart of okra from the Fiddlin' Farmer
--whole wheat pasta from the Herb Lady
--peanut butter goat milk fudge and a bar of soap from the Goat Lady
--a quart of Red Haven peaches from the local orchard

I hadn't planned to get more tomatoes, but when I found the cucumbers, I knew I'd have to make gazpacho for lunch! And though I already had a good amount of okra at home, I knew I'd want more for easy dinners this coming week.

Once I headed home, I decided to rest a wee, since I know I'm going to be on my feet and in the kitchen the better part of the weekend.

So stay tuned... more delights await!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home