Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Weed Here Now

I had planned to revisit the garden today in order to check on things, and happily the storms and showers moved out of the area this morning, allowing me to stay dry while I puttered.

Of course, I knew the wet weather meant I would have more weeding to do. I guess I'm learning to accept that. There is something satisfying about clearing out the unwanted plants in order to give the fruits and vegetables more room to grow.

And this week, I discovered that those things that I had planted are really wanting more room!


My Dear Papa went with me to the garden in order to tend to the tomatoes. I knew last week that one of the plants had escaped its cage and gone sprawling, and today we found it overtaking the carrots and the garbanzos. Not good! So My Dear Papa spent some time staking and tying up that plant as well as the loose branches of the others.


He also thinned the foliage on the plants, pruning off the shoots that had no fruit beginning. It made quite an improvement!

In other garden news:


The melon seedlings have finally taken off and put out runners. And I'm happy to report that the cantaloupe plants, which had been so battered by hail, are setting flowers. Hooray!


The Tiger Eye beans are now growing pods, so it won't be too long before I can pick beans to dry.


And the first Rutgers tomatoes are turning an orange-red. Won't be long now!

My Dear Papa also set up a couple of Japanese beetle traps as those pests are thick this year. Hope they don't do much damage to those beautiful tomato bushes!

I picked another small round of kai lan and a handful of carrots, but that's all I could harvest today. Good enough for me!

Gardening definitely teaches you patience and an appreciation for the present moment. No wonder it's recommended for stress relief.

And there's no place I'd rather weed.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 7/14/2008 8:09 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

wow, it all looks so robust and healthy! My tomatoes are just these past few days starting to throw flowers. I do have a bunch of tiny summer squash of different varieties, so in another week I'll be grilling like crazy, I think (hope). The regular rain/sun mix has just made for such a lush season!

 
At 7/15/2008 12:56 PM, Blogger Ed Bruske said...

Ah, yes. Sometimes we don't quite visualize how large some of these plants can get. Tomatoes, for instance, can become HUGE.

 
At 7/15/2008 4:55 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I admit to being very lucky, having started with large plants. And the farmer I bought them from did warn me that the plants would sprawl a great deal. Thank goodness My Dear Papa was willing to show me what to do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home