Saturday, July 05, 2008

Sour the Cherries This Year?

In last week's visit to the farmers' market, I had gathered all my produce for the week -- and at the last minute sent the Renaissance Man back to pick up a quart of sour cherries from the Fiddlin' Farmer.

I wasn't entirely sure what all I might make with them as I'm more of a sweet cherry fan, but I did have a couple ideas.


Of course, it took me nearly all week to get around to them again, but I started off a full day yesterday by halving and pitting the cherries and tucking half of them into a glass jar and returning them to the refrigerator.

For the other half, I heated a mixture of local cider vinegar, water, sugar, local honey, and spices, boiling the liquid for a few minutes before adding the cherries.


The cherries simmered in the vinegar mixture for a few minutes more, and then I packed them into half-pint jars.


After 15 minutes in a boiling water bath, I had nearly three small jars of spiced cherries. I've never had them before, but I thought I would expand my pickling horizons this year, and the idea of sweet and sour fruit relishes has a little more appeal to me now than it did when I was younger.

This morning, I woke up early in order to make a clafouti with the rest of the cherries. I had so enjoyed berry clafoutis both at the Inn and at home last year, and it struck me as the perfect way to showcase these cherries.

So, with a little local milk, local spelt flour, local eggs, local honey, and vanilla and almond extracts whisked together and poured over the cherries, I ended up with this:


Looks very tempting, doesn't it? I know it's technically a dessert, but it looks like breakfast to me.

And I'd say the cherries are very good, indeed, this year.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7/05/2008 9:04 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

What, no cherry pie??? Of course, with just one quart, I suppose that would've used them all up. Spiced cherries...interesting. I'll have to think about that for some I've frozen.

 
At 7/09/2008 5:21 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

No, no pie, Janet. That's just not the first thing I think of with many fruits, believe it or not. Besides, sometimes I just like to try something new. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home