Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Oh, Say, Can You CSA? Week 9


Just when I thought I had friends aplenty at my CSA farm, along comes this little guy, dubbed Iggy by my Pop.

And yes, this handsome fellow greeted us as we picked up this week's CSA share and let us know that our first eggplant was available today. Wasn't that sweet of him?


Granted, the table was well loaded with a wonderful variety of produce, so after a stroll back to the fields while the Lady Bountiful helped another CSA member, My Dear Papa and I reviewed our selection for the week and divided it accordingly:

--one Superstar white sweet onion (his)
--one Walla Walla sweet onion (mine)
--two small eggplant (one for each of us)
--two green peppers (ditto)
--three bulbs garlic (one for him, two for me)
--one Spineless Beauty green zucchini (mine)
--one Gold Rush yellow zucchini (his)
--one pint yellow summer squash (his)
--one pint okra (mine!)
--one head Snow Crown cauliflower (his)
--one quart green beans (mine)
--one quart Early Girl tomatoes (mine)
--two Lemon Boy tomatoes (one for each of us)
--one pint red cherry tomatoes (his)
--one quart Red Pontiac potatoes (mine)


That seemed like a good division of the spoils to me, but then we both ended up buying extra: My Dear Papa bought a pint of the Early Girls, while I added on two and a half pints of cherry tomatoes, another pint of okra, another head of cauliflower, and three more zucchini. I know, I still have produce in the refrigerator -- but how can I resist?


The Lady Bountiful reported that not everyone wanted their okra from the CSA share, so while she agreed to swap them something else for the okra, I reaped the benefit. (You know I loves me some okra.) And I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate the windfall than by having some fried okra along with my dinner -- especially when my recipe ended up on this week's CSA sheet!

After dinner, I prepared all the cherry tomatoes for drying and got them started in the dehydrator, but that's all I plan to do tonight. Maybe tomorrow I'll get more preservation done, and then I can tackle some cooking this weekend. (Zucchini, here I come!)

Are you hungry yet?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 7/31/2008 11:50 AM, Anonymous jasmine said...

I don't know how you do all of the preservation that you do. It amazes me. I don't think that I am organized enough to pull it off (and there never seems to be room in my freezer

 
At 7/31/2008 1:37 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Jasmine, I try to do a little almost every day, and I try to work in small batches. Besides, I always buy waaaaaaay more than I can eat at a time, and I'd feel guilty if I didn't try to do a little something. :-)

But I AM running out of freezer space!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home