Saturday, July 05, 2008

Market Report: 7/5/08

This, to me, is a perfect summer morning: sunshine, a little cool to begin with but warming slowly, bird song, a day to be lived at a slow pace, and -- of course! -- the farmers' market.

I ended up arriving downtown very early, stopping at the public library bookdrop and the bank along the way, and with no immediate plans, I took my sweet time wandering around and chatting with the farmers. I got to hear about the crops that are coming on early and strong as well as the sluggards in the fields (the Lady Bountiful has been particularly distressed by the slowness of the tomatoes, thanks to all the cool nights we've had).

And as I wandered from table to table, I gradually filled my backpack and basket with good food.


--cabbage, broccoli, green beans, shelling peas, red onions, and black raspberries from the Cheerful Lady and Handyman Joe
--small cucumbers for pickling from the Amish Farmer
--more broccoli (can you tell I love the stuff?) from the Fiddlin' Farmer
--blue potatoes and black currants from the Sheep Farmer
--a pint of honey from the Bee Man
--chocolate peanut butter goat milk fudge from the Goat Lady (she loves to see me coming!)
--spelt flour from the Spelt Baker


--blueberries from the Corn Queen
--more gooseberries from the local orchard

Surprisingly, I didn't indulge in any baked goods this week -- but that's probably because my bags were getting very heavy at this point!

I enjoyed the slow walk home, listening to the sounds of the waking world all around me (since I finished up at the market around 8:30). Once I headed inside, though, I got right down to work, blanching and freezing the green beans and half of the broccoli.

It's such a wonderful way to start another gorgeous summer day.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7/05/2008 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the site...

 
At 7/09/2008 5:20 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home