Saturday, July 26, 2008

Market Report: 7/26/08

I almost didn't go to the farmers' market today.

It's shocking, I know. But since the Innkeeper asked me earlier this week to fill in for her this morning, I decided to pick up a double CSA share on Wednesday, hoping that would keep me covered for produce for a week, just in case I wasn't able to get to the market in time.

But I wrapped up breakfast at the Inn earlier than expected, and I had other errands to run downtown. And most of all, I couldn't bear the thought of what I might miss!

So I trekked down to the market and wandered from table to table, looking at all the good produce and baked goods, and took some time to visit with the farmers I haven't seen in three weeks.


As you might expect, getting more produce earlier in the week didn't stop me from buying more this morning, but I did manage to limit my purchases considerably:

--blueberries from a new farmer
--half a dozen ears of bicolor corn from the Corn Queen
--fennel, a zahtar spice mix, and crackers from the Herb Lady
--broccoli, kohlrabi, and a cookie from the Cheerful Lady
--more broccoli from the Fiddlin' Farmer
--a pound of green beans from the local Orchard (they ran out of red raspberries just before I got there!)

Yes, much of that will end up in the freezer, though I'm sure I'll enjoy one ear of corn for dinner tonight!

Wandering the market also gave me an idea of what to expect in the next couple of weeks: peaches and (I hope) plums, okra, more corn, and loads of tomatoes. The work -- and the fun! -- never ends!

How could I have thought of missing it all?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home