Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Oh, Say, Can You CSA? Week 4

Storms rolled in quickly this afternoon -- and just as quickly rolled out, leaving just a fine mist of rain as we headed out to the farm to pick up this week's CSA basket. (I love it when the weather cooperates!)


And isn't that a sunny, colorful array of fruit and vegetables to ward off the grey skies?

This week we picked up:

--a pound of broccoli (which My Wonderful Parents took)
--a bag of assorted leaf lettuce and a bunch of Red Sails lettuce (we split)
--a small sweet onion (to the folks; I got the extra one left over from the other CSA shares)
--green garlic (we split)
--a dozen Nevis carrots (we split)
--a quart of snow peas (mine!)
--a bunch of radishes (all mine!)
--the last quart of strawberries (mine, mine, MINE!)

On top of that, My Wonderful Parents bought an extra quart of snow peas for themselves, and I picked up two more pounds of broccoli for me since I love it so much.

The Lady Bountiful's flyer for the week featured her mother-in-law's recipe for broccoli noodle and cheese soup (I might have to make that this weekend!) as well as my easy recipe for broccoli-walnut pasta. I'm so tickled that she decided to use it!

We lingered only briefly to chat this week and didn't visit the fields since it's been awfully wet out lately, but it's always such a delight to talk with this family -- they carry the sunshine with them!

On the way home, we stopped at the local dairy so that I could stock up on unsalted butter, eggs, and ice cream (all local and delicious), then headed home to unload. Once again, I've got plenty of preserving work ahead, but I think I might just have to enjoy some of this fresh food real soon.

And just so you can enjoy it, too, I'll share my recipe with you as well.

Broccoli-Walnut Pasta

Feel free to use any kind of pasta you like in this dish. My favorites are homemade whole grain noodles, whole wheat elbows, or for special treats, frozen cheese tortellini. I've also been known to vary the cheeses (sometimes feta, sometimes cheddar) or to add oven-dried tomatoes along with the walnuts. It's an easy, quick fix for lunch or dinner on a really busy day, and it makes great leftovers.

8-12 oz dry pasta
1 c chopped broccoli
1 to 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 to 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced, or 1 whole garlic scape, chopped
1/4 c chopped walnuts
salt and pepper to taste
grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Cook the pasta in boiling water. When pasta can just be cut with a fork, add the broccoli and cook until pasta is tender and broccoli is bright green. Drain.

Heat olive oil in saucepan over low heat. Sauté garlic 1 minute, until fragrant, then add walnuts, salt, and pepper. Add pasta and broccoli, and toss, adding a little extra olive oil if needed.

Serve warm with fresh grated Parmesan cheese on top.

Serves 2

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6/27/2008 10:42 PM, Blogger Janet said...

I love broccoli, too, and make a similar dish, but without the walnuts. I'll have to give that a try!

 
At 6/30/2008 7:09 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I seem to remember you doing something like that on your blog, Janet... great minds think alike! This is actually my quick-and-dirty low-fat version of a scrumptious dish I used to get at an Italian restaurant in Atlanta that used a Parmesan sauce with the broccoli.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home