Saturday, June 28, 2008

Market Report: 6/28/08

After not getting much of a chance the past couple of weeks to enjoy the farmers' market fully, lingering to talk with all the farmers and spending freely, I made sure we had plenty of time to devote to the experience this week.

And it was so well worth it!


--honey and a cucumber from the Lady Bountiful
--golden beets, carrots, and dill from the Spelt Baker
--broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, a small loaf of zucchini bread, and a handful of cookies from the Cheerful Lady and Handyman Joe
--small potatoes and more lavender from the Herb Lady
--a quart of sour cherries from the Fiddlin' Farmer
--pickling cucumbers from the Amish Farmer
--two kinds of goat milk fudge (peanut butter and butter pecan) from the Goat Lady


And, through the generosity of the Renaissance Man, I also took home a variety of fruits from the local orchard: more sweet cherries for drying, red raspberries for snacking, red currants (also for drying), and the Renaissance Man's insistent choice, gooseberries.

We took an hour to visit the market, to talk with the farmers and with our fellow shoppers, and we rounded out the visit with a breakfast supplement of fry pies from the local orchard (cherry for him, grape for me). What a treat!

Now, of course, I have a fridge full of produce -- and I'm running away to the farm again. I'll definitely have my work cut out for me next week!

But it's so good to enjoy a morning at the market!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home