Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday Night Is Date Night

Since I've been overwhelmed with good produce lately and the need to preserve as much of it as I can, I haven't done much baking.

Sometimes, though, my sweet tooth won't be denied, and I have to pull out pans and bowls and fire up the oven.

Knowing that I'd be sharing dinner with the Renaissance Man this evening and then heading out to the Farm for the weekend, I thought I'd bake something to share with everyone. And when I picked up my CSA produce this week, the basket of strawberries that came home with me inspired me to pull out my date bar recipe and try yet another variation.


I simmered the chopped strawberries and dates together with a splash of rose petal syrup and a little water, allowing it all to meld together while I mixed together and pressed a ginger-laced shortbread base into the pan.


Once the fruit had cooled slightly, I spread it over the shortbread, added an easy oat crumb topping, and baked it.


The bars turned out a little thin but oh so fragrant, and after a deliciously green and fresh dinner, the Renaissance Man expressed his approval of dessert in no uncertain terms. (I managed to get the pan away from him eventually, despite his desire to be alone with it.)

With a date like that, who could resist?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7/01/2008 12:59 PM, Blogger Johannes said...

That looks really good! :) Yummie! :)

 
At 7/01/2008 1:05 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oh, it definitely was, Johannes... everyone who sampled it was pleasantly surprised. (Well, except me!) :-)

 
At 7/02/2008 5:21 PM, Anonymous Sophie said...

I'm Sophie, Key Ingredient's Chief Blogger. We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Sophie
http://blog.keyingredient.com/

 
At 7/03/2008 7:11 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Sophie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home