Monday, May 26, 2008

Thyme Out

To round out the holiday weekend, the Farm Mother requested a somewhat traditional holiday picnic menu for lunchtime. So I decided to take a little breather from wood-splitting this morning and stayed in the kitchen to whip up a few little things for our not-quite-picnic.

One of the specific dishes the Farm Mother wanted on the table was potato salad, made with mayonnaise and mustard and pickle relish and all the sorts of things I'm not crazy about. But I wanted to make her happy, so I made it the best I could and asked The Renaissance Man to taste-test it and tell me what more I needed to do to make it like hers. (More of everything, he replied.)

Sure, that would please everyone else at the table. But for me, I made a small dish of my own potato salad.


I kept mine light, adding carrots and garlic and tossing it all with a drizzle of olive oil. And since I had planted some fresh herbs in the garden behind the house, I added a little fresh thyme to the mix for just the right taste of green.

Since I was on a roll this morning -- having also made a pie for dessert -- I decided to surprise everyone and make fresh biscuits.


The Renaissance Man has been hinting broadly that he's still waiting for the perfect biscuits, and since my last batch (made with his aged baking powder) didn't turn out as well as they should, I thought I'd show him. So I made the basic baking powder biscuit recipe and added bits of colby-jack cheese and more fresh thyme for something melty and a little savory.

They came out of the oven smelling wonderful, so I quickly buttered two and took them out to the tractor to share with him. Clearly they won his approval, because he decided it was time for a break and returned to the house with me for tea and about three more fresh biscuits.

That ended my cooking for the day, and after my own break for food, I headed back outside for more hard work.

The rest of this week will be crazy-busy, too, so consider this a lengthy time out for me, for my cooking, and for this site. But don't worry: I'll be back.

Just give me a little thyme.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6/01/2008 4:59 PM, Blogger Jeena said...

Looks and sounds amazing. This is just my kind of food yum. :-)

 
At 6/02/2008 6:51 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Glad you like, Jeena. I'm finding I like my food simple nowadays!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home