Saturday, April 19, 2008

Hello Muddah, Hello Fava

The temperatures have been so deliciously warm the latter part of this week, I've been itching to get out and get the Victory Garden started. And this morning, it was time.


The Absent-Minded Professor, bless his heart, has been hard at work laying the stones for a retaining wall around the garden plot (to keep beans and melons and tomatoes from sliding down the hill), and he was out early, digging the bed and working in some of the soil he had bought and the compost I had bought. (You might think that one of my Adorable Nephews had been helping him, given the added equipment in the garden, but no...)


That may look like way more than we would need in the stone-lined bed, but since the bed size had to be scaled back due to the topographic limitations, the AMP promised to use the leftover soil and compost mix to build a second bed nearby for the rest of the vegetables. Not only that, he was happy to do all the shoveling and hauling by himself -- what a guy! (I so owe him a loaf of bread -- or three.)

Once he gets that all sorted out, I'll be ready to plant the April seeds -- later this week, I hope -- with the tomatoes and melons and later seeds to be sown in May.


While there, I checked on my early seeds and found not only a few thin seedlings from the row of carrots but also a few sprouts from the fava beans. Yippee! It's such a treat to see things starting to green up, and I'm getting hungry already, just thinking about all the good produce I'll have to harvest this summer.

I still have plenty of other prep work to do in the garden(s), but I'm so excited to start seeing some progress.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4/22/2008 9:53 AM, Blogger justagirl said...

That's wonderful! I do think spring has finally returned, yay! We used to have a garden, but now that I am a single mother working full time, it's all I can do just to keep the yard mowed, lol. I would love to be able to keep up with it though, because there's nothing better than homegrown veggies.

 
At 4/22/2008 10:20 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I know exactly what you mean, justagirl. When I had a home and garden/lawn of my own, I would have loved nothing more than to turn almost all the backyard into gardens so as to avoid mowing so much. (Mind you, then I'd have had a LOT more garden work, so maybe it's just as well!)

But all that thought of "drudgery" goes out of my head when the weather finally turns as nice as this and I just want to stick my fingers in the dirt!!! :-)

 
At 4/22/2008 6:05 PM, Blogger cv said...

my hands are aching to get in the dirt, but we had snow again this past week (I'm just north of Seattle) and I don't have anywhere to shelter tender plants.

I have to just go out and pick in my little patch of dirt and look at the sky.

 
At 4/23/2008 7:08 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Wow, cv, late snow? How frustrating! Here's hoping the weather will warm up for good for you very soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home