Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dig In, Everyone!

At the beginning of the week, the wonderful friend who is hosting my Victory Garden let me know that he had finished filling the garden bed with the soil and compost -- as well as laid out a second bed for me to use -- and I could start planting seeds whenever I was ready.

Oh, happy day! So I headed over after work today, seed packets clutched in my fist, and got to work.


I was pleased to find the neat stone paths dividing the plots as I had requested, and though they look narrow, they were easy to traverse as I put in rows of black garbanzo beans, carrots, lettuce, and selected herbs. So far I've only planted in the near left two sections of the main bed as I'm saving other beans and herbs, plus melons and kales, for later planting.

With the help of my Adorable Nephews, I also managed to plant several short rows in the other bed (in back of the main bed) with amaranth, Chinese broccoli, pac choi (Beaker's favorite to say), more beans and lettuce, and a sprinkling of other herbs. There's still room there for more, so I'll save some of the later seeds for that bed, too.


Once the seeds had been tucked under the soil, the boys helped me sprinkle some ground eggshells (the white line) over a row of carrots to keep some bugs away, and they gleefully dumped bucket after bucket of water on the areas we had planted. (Yes, they did have to be stopped after a certain point.)


Once the new beds had been tended, I checked on the first bed, near the deck, and discovered a faint row of fringe where I had planted the first of the Jaune du Doubs yellow carrots.


The first row of lettuce looked sweet and sprightly as well, hinting at a later need to thin the seedlings. (Hungry for salad yet? I am!)


The fava bean seedlings, looking small and tender last week, looked a lot more sturdy today, so I feel certain they will grow up big and strong and productive. How exciting to see so much growth already!

There's still a lot to be done, of course, and the work on the garden is only just beginning. But what a treat to see something green and to get my fingernails black with good honest soil!

Hope you're all getting a chance to dig in to your own gardens, too!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 4/28/2008 1:29 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I wish I could do that - good luck!

 
At 4/28/2008 1:34 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Sam, and welcome! I wish you could, too... after not being able to plant anything last year, it's really satisfying to me to get back out in the garden.

 
At 4/28/2008 4:05 PM, Blogger valereee said...

I decided I'd border one of my perennial flower beds with chives, so yesterday I put in 21 chives starts all along the front of a bed.

 
At 4/29/2008 7:05 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oh, wow, valereee, that sounds like a serious chive border! Mine are starting from seed, which I've not done before, so I hope I get a nice little fringe of them around the tomato bed. We'll see...

 
At 4/29/2008 7:55 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

You are going to have SO MUCH FOOD! That is so cool! I'll garden vicariously through yours. :)

 
At 4/30/2008 6:58 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Yes, Janet, but I'll be sharing produce with my parents, my friends who are hosting the garden, and one or two other people... so I'll be stretching that bounty a long way! :-) I'll be sure to post pictures regularly so you can feel like you're "right there" (except for the mosquitoes or the weeds or....)

 
At 4/30/2008 7:13 PM, Anonymous Laura said...

Look at you go! You're so far ahead of me, it seems like we'll never even be close to salad from the garden. I'm going to live vicariously through you for at least another couple of weeks...

 
At 5/01/2008 7:38 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oh, but Laura, I have been hungry for salad for the past couple of weeks... patience is dwindling while the seeds are sprouting! :-) Hope the weather warms a bit for you so you can get going soon...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home