Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Bri Spirit

Among the joys I've found in writing this blog (as well as for the Ethicurean) and hearing from you Dear Readers has been making new friendly "almost-neighbors." (I like Kelly's term because it somehow feels strange to call people I've never met in person "friends" -- yet something akin to that bond of friendship does exist in this geographically-widespread community called the Internet.)

One of these dear new "almost-neighbors" is the ever-enthusiastic and charming Briana Brownlow of Figs with Bri. In just a few short months, Bri has become like a sister to me, sharing my delights in cooking, in ingredients, and in life. Her kindness and gratitude never fail to bring sunshine to my day.

Unfortunately, dear Bri announced recently that a difficult illness of hers proved to be a recurrence of the cancer she had struggled with before. It's devastating news, and I figure that if I, who know her so little in comparison, feel so distraught over this blow, the pain and questions and frustration and host of other emotions that she and her family must feel must be overwhelming.

There's not really anything I can do to help, and there probably seems to be no point in me going on about this on my own blog. But Bri, though relatively new to food blogging (under a year), has provided a quiet but shining example of excellent food writing and photography (with the sterling support and work from her husband Marc), and if you haven't visited her site through the link on the side of this page, I encourage you to do so. You'll find yourself uplifted in no time.

As for me, I'm planning to make shahi paneer tonight, one of my favorite dishes and one that makes me think of Bri since I shared with her my paneer recipe some time back. (Granted, I'm planning on making a vegan version, replacing the paneer with tofu, but I'm also going to use local produce from my pantry and I'm making it as a test recipe for other friends with health problems.)

And when I sit down to dinner tonight, I'll lift a fork to Bri. She's off in search of possible healing treatments, and I don't expect she'll read this, but I'm hoping that just sending a little extra good thought and energy her way will do some good for someone. If her family is hoping to "honor her spirit by fixing delicious organic meals" as she would, then I figure I can do the same.

If you're so inclined, won't you join us?

6 Comments:

At 4/30/2008 1:44 AM, Blogger cv said...

Our little circle of bloggers sens light to each other, I'm sending Light and my best hopes her way.

 
At 4/30/2008 7:01 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, cv... every little bit of Light helps!

 
At 5/03/2008 12:11 PM, Blogger justagirl said...

I'll be making spinach lasagna tonight and I shall lift a fork to her as well.

 
At 5/05/2008 7:49 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

justagirl, I'm sure Bri would approve of your choice!

 
At 6/09/2008 5:13 PM, Anonymous bri said...

I did finally read this. Thank you dear friend.

 
At 6/10/2008 7:23 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I'm glad you're feeling better these days, Bri! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home