Friday, March 07, 2008

Winter, Orange You Done Yet?

After a burst of spring-like weather earlier this week, we're now staring down the barrel of a loaded weather forecast and the prospect of a massive snowstorm tomorrow.

I don't like to complain. Really. I like to appreciate the seasons in their turn and to take what the moment offers (as long as it's not in the line of extreme weather). But I'm about ready for the end of this white stuff, of the constant watchfulness against ice and treacherous footing, and an impending snowstorm is not really what I want.

Since I know that I don't always get what I want, I'll take some small satisfaction in knowing that once in a while, I get what I need. And what I need right now is a burst of sunshine.

That's why this evening I turned to my lingering stash of oranges in the refrigerator and pulled one out to make a variation on my lime-ginger squares.

With local whole wheat flour, maple sugar, and butter in the crust and local eggs and honey added to the orange-ginger filling, this brightly citrusy dessert combined the best of both worlds for me: the comfort of local baking ingredients made more appealing by a burst of tropical sweetness.


I do like these little morsels of buttery gold. A little square will satisfy my sweet tooth very well as it reminds me of my favorite Pie in the Sky. I even feel healthy eating it knowing I'm getting a little extra vitamin C -- a useful thing when grappling with a mild sore throat and a day full of cold blowing snow tomorrow!

Winter might not be done with us yet here in northern Ohio, but I'm ready.

Orange you?

2 Comments:

At 3/10/2008 8:16 PM, Anonymous Jennifer said...

That sounds like a lovely dessert -- I've been trying to think of creative ways to work oranges into sweet things too, so I'll have to try this!

 
At 3/11/2008 6:56 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I'm sure you can find many ways to work oranges into dessert, Jennifer... I like adding a touch of orange flavor (peel or sometimes juice) to chocolate, to berries, even to cookies!

Actually, having made pudding last night, now I'm wondering about orange custard... hmmmmm.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home