Friday, March 14, 2008

An Eggscellent Find

I've tried going vegan in the past. It's just not for me. I love cheese, and some days, I just have to have eggs.

Of course, that fits better into a local way of eating than tofu and some other vegan staples, at least for my region, so it makes more sense for me. (I'm also blessed with low cholesterol levels, so I don't have to worry about the very-occasional three-egg cheese omelet.) I can find good local eggs at the co-op, and on rare occasion I can get very good, fresh eggs direct from a nearby farmer.

This week, I got really lucky. The Innkeeper caught up with me (no easy task of late) and handed me a dozen eggs from a friend's hens. And what a delightful dozen!


Every last one of those eggs was tinged a pastel green, a perfect celebration for the upcoming holidays of both St. Patrick's Day and Easter. (The Innkeeper couldn't remember the breed of hen, but further research indicates that the hens were probably Araucana hens.)

Eggs that beautiful could only inspire me to recite a familiar verse:

I would not like them here or there.
I would not like them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.
--Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss

Well, that's a lie, really, because green or not, I do like these eggs.


Wouldn't you? I mean, look at that yolk! Big, plump, rounded high to indicate how fresh it is... and best of all, it came out a deep golden orange and rich in vitamins. How can you not love an egg that just screams "healthy and delicious!"?

Happily, I had just the use for the first few eggs: making homemade pasta. I mixed up a double batch of half-spelt pasta to use in a pan of lasagna for My Wonderful Parents as part of a dinner I had promised to make for them after My Dear Papa's recent cataract surgery (and he's in great shape after it).


Along with salad tossed with home-dried cherries and sliced almonds, pesto flatbread, and blackberry-blueberry crisp for dessert, that cheese lasagna was a hit with everyone at the table. The Chef Mother allowed as how it was the best pasta I've made yet! And while I can take a little credit for getting better at making the dough, I think those gorgeous eggs were part of the secret.

I've got plenty more green eggs to enjoy this next week, and another soufflé might be in the offing... or perhaps a quiche.

And I will eat them in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
They are so good, so good, you see!
--Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss

Well, I might not get that carried away... but you never know!

2 Comments:

At 3/19/2008 10:01 PM, Blogger Tina said...

That egg is exactly how I pictured Joel Salatin's eggs as described in "The Omnivore's Dilemma"! I don't particularly like eggs, but I'd be willing to give those a try!:-)

 
At 3/20/2008 7:10 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I know what you mean, Tina... before I'd had eggs this fresh, I wasn't really sure I could believe the rapturous descriptions of such large golden yolks like Salatin's hens produce. But WOW! And even if you weren't keen on them plain, just think of what they would do for your cookies....!!! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home