Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Dessert After My Own Tart

Ever since a friend gave me a two-quart bag full of frozen local blackberries a couple weeks ago, I've been wanting to try all sorts of interesting recipes with them.

But what? I worked some into a quick bread that was delicious, and I shared some last night with My Wonderful Parents in a simple fruit crisp.

Somehow, though, I wanted to try something more.

When the Renaissance Man invited me out to the family farm this weekend, I decided to bake something to share with everyone. And the more those blackberries called to me, the more I looked for an appropriate use for them.

Finally, it occurred to me: I would make a berry tart.

I could make a pie, sure, but I really wanted to try something a little lighter. And though the tart dough recipe I found called for butter (and plenty of it), the crust ended up very light and flaky.


I don't own a tart pan, so I formed the shell in my springform pan instead, curling the edges of the crust under for a different effect. And since I had plenty of dough left over, I cut it into smaller pieces, added dollops of homemade strawberry-ginger jam, wrapped them up, and baked them, too, for a quick sweet snack.

This morning, just before heading out, I spread a thin layer of lemon curd over the bottom of the tart shell and covered it with thawed and drained blackberries that I had tossed with my homemade lemon basil syrup.


Simple, but elegant, I just had a feeling this dessert would please everyone.

And it did! The Renaissance Man particularly liked the balance of sweet and tart between the berries and the lemon curd, and I know I appreciated the combination of textures (juicy, creamy, and crisp).

It has a little bit of everything good, really... and that will win my heart every time.

2 Comments:

At 3/18/2008 4:13 PM, Anonymous Jasmine said...

Looks pretty yummy!! I have been craving lemon curd and jam recently -- odd since I rarely eat either one. Maybe there is a tart in my future...and lasagna...I keep threatening to organize the pantry and inventory the last of the sauce and salsa that is under boxes of other things.

 
At 3/19/2008 6:47 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Somehow that craving for lemon curd snagged me, too, Jasmine... what I used isn't homemade, but it did satisfy the craving, especially with those luscious berries.

Organize the pantry? Yeah, I should try to do that... again... soon......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home