Friday, March 07, 2008

A Berry Good Read

You might think it's summer, considering how often I've cooked with berries or used berry bad puns in my posts lately.

Looking out the window over this lunch hour today, though, puts that misconception to rest as we're in the early hours of what is predicted to be our biggest snowfall of the season. Sigh. It's enough to make you want to curl up under a blanket with a big pot of tea at hand and a good book.

Lucky for you! I've recently finished re-reading a classic by Wendell Berry called The Unsettling of America: Culture and Agriculture. Published over 30 years ago, it still resonates with Berry's scathing commentary on Big Ag and his ever-so-sensible (but not always easy) suggestions to mend our ways. I read it for the first time two years ago, and this second time through, I was struck even more by the relevance to today's situation, especially with all the headline problems with our food system.

My review of the book has just been posted to the Ethicurean, so hop on over there and take a look, then find the book in your local library. Maybe it will even have you thinking about spring and planting that garden.

At least it makes me Berry hopeful.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 3/07/2008 1:02 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

Oh, man. You have my sympathy on the snow. It's coming down here in Kansas, too. Sigh. It must be a very Berry time; I invoked him in a blog post at Ethicurean two days ago. Guess I'd better go read your review. Hunker down.

 
At 3/07/2008 1:20 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I had seen your post as I was working on my review, Janet, and I thought then, "great minds think alike!" Plus Charlotte had a bit about Berry on her blog last week, too... definitely Berry season.

By tomorrow evening we could have up to 14" of snow, which I know is not much compared to what some areas get, but it's definitely skewing what plans I had for this weekend. Guess I'd better stay home and bake! (More blog fodder...)

Keep that kitchen warm, my friend!

 
At 3/08/2008 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jen -
When I went to bed last night it was 60 out. We'd spent a little time in the basement earlier during the storms because of a tornado warning for one they thought was heading our way after it had touched down southwest of us. This morning it is 29, snowing a bit, and we have high wind advisories for the day. I know this isn't as bad as what you have, but it is certainly "in like a lion" weather.
Keep warm!
Barbara D.(Georgia)

 
At 3/10/2008 7:41 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Hey Barbara! Glad to hear you are keeping safe in the wild weather... I don't look forward to tornado season. This was quite a snowstorm, more like the ones we had when I was a kid... good baking weather!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home