Sunday, February 10, 2008

Link Good Thoughts...

I've been reading a lot of good pieces elsewhere online lately, but I just never seem to get around to pulling together some of my favorites to share with you.

Some of what I've read lately has been on the distinctly depressing side, such as Marc's review of meat recalls over at the Ethicurean or some of Sharon's thought-provoking articles at Casaubon's Book.

But given the wall of grey skies out there today and the perpetual howl of the winter wind, I'm in need of happier thoughts and things to report, so I'm going to stick to the sunny side of the street today:

--Fellow Ethicurean Charlotte over at Living Small has a recent little piece about "Spring cravings." While she's mostly talking about the foods she preserved and is just now craving, she's also been planning her garden preparation, and what I've heard about that (from our behind-the-scenes Victory Garden talk) inspired me to sit down this week and start a few seeds of my own.


With any luck, I'll get some lettuce, Asian greens, scallions, and Tiger Eye beans started here on my windowsill!

--Harriet, the Happy Homesteader on Culinate's Dinner Guest blog, recently talked about "Self-reliance" and how she views the food preservation and other homesteading work she does as a form of political protest. The people who want to learn the skills from her, however, are adamant that they're not at all interested in starting a revolution. I'm fortunate in that the young folks who have wanted to learn such things from me have, in fact, seen such skills as a worthwhile way to keep from succumbing to mainstream, consumerist culture, but I do wonder –- even with all that's written about taking back control of our food and food production, are we really getting anywhere in changing how people think and eat?

--At Organic to Be, Jeff Cox has a beautiful little article about perfection and how it correlates less to physical ideal than to context. That perfect summer peach? You know it's the company with whom you shared it that made it "perfect," not any intrinsic perfection of the fruit itself. Poetry!

--Julie at Eat Local Challenge muses on hope, starting with the political scene and on how eating locally is an act of hope in her life. Inspiring!

--Finally, at Eat Close to Home, Emily has started a series called "So You Want to Garden" and has recently offered tips on the essential gardening tools and on what vegetables beginning gardeners here in the north might start sowing. Stay tuned to her blog for more useful information over the coming months.

--And since Valentine's Day is approaching ever so swiftly, go bake some good cookies. Better yet, take Bri's excellent idea for creating your own hot date!

There IS good news out there... we just have to find it! (Or make it!)

2 Comments:

At 2/11/2008 11:10 PM, Blogger Bri said...

What great links, Jennifer. Thanks for them. I read a few of the articles and was quite touched by the topics. Hey, and thanks for the shout-out to my hot dates :)
I put a link to your pudding post in my pudding post, come over to your blog, and what do I see? but a link to me. Great minds...are...complimentary?

 
At 2/12/2008 7:11 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Hey, Bri, I thought we could all use a little uplifting these days!

I am all over those dates this weekend for my upcoming Moroccan feast, though I'm using the pistachios in cookies instead. :-)

Complimentary, indeed! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home