Sunday, February 24, 2008

Dancing Sure Packs a Brunch!

Over the past week, the Contradance Queen and I have tried to work out plans for an additional dance outing for this weekend, but between the weather and other plans, we didn't get to go anywhere.

I knew the plans for Sunday's dance would hold, though, and I offered her the chance to come by my place for brunch before we met up with the rest of our crowd and headed south. Like the sensible person she is, she readily agreed.

When I finally caught up with our driver, though, I found out that we would not be able to stay after the dance to dine with other folks, so I offered to open up the brunch invitation to everyone in our group. After all, I reasoned, I can cook brunch for six people just as easily as for two... if not more so!

My suggestion met with general approval, so I set about planning the menu:


I pulled out the ever-so-easy egg and vegetable "puff" that worked well for me at the Inn over Christmas, and I combined local eggs, milk, and flour with some shredded zucchini from the freezer, shredded local cheddar, and shredded non-local carrots. I also roasted a handful of local potatoes with olive oil and some of my dried rosemary, and I threw together a salad of mixed organic greens (not local) with a tasty walnut vinaigrette.


I also decided to bake scones, following the suggestion of one of my fellow dancers, and I tossed some of my home-dried cherries into the local whole-wheat dough and added a sprinkling of crunchy roasted cacao nibs (always a good combination!).

Along with those items, I made more of Bri's delectable baked dates with goat cheese, and I set out a pot of good jasmine tea sweetened with local honey for everyone (save for the die-hard coffee drinker).

After a bit of delighted disbelief -– "this is your idea of a simple brunch?" asked one friend –- they all piled food on their plates and sat back to enjoy a good meal and good conversation.

It worked out even better than I had expected: we all had a good, well-balanced meal; I could set dishes aside to clean up later; and we were all then ready to dance ourselves silly for three hours.

And by the time we got back, I was ready to make the offer that perhaps such a brunch-dance combination could become a regular occurrence –- and they were more than ready to agree!

Make brunch in return for good company and a ride to the dance?

Yeah, I can swing that.

4 Comments:

At 2/28/2008 4:49 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Jen, sounds like great fun and great food! Quiche-y frittata-y things are always a brunch winner and sounds like yours was a hit. What a perfect menu of breakfasty and lunchy fare. Yum! Sounds like a win win situation for all!

 
At 2/29/2008 7:21 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Bri! I'll have to figure out if I want to go the brunch route again next month or have a simple lunch... we'll see what inspires me (or what I need to clean out of the pantry!).

 
At 3/03/2008 9:06 AM, Blogger Ed Bruske said...

I especially like the idea of home-dried cherries in the scones.

 
At 3/03/2008 9:24 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

They are good, Ed. I will definitely have to dry more cherries this summer, because I have enjoyed using them so much in baking this winter and am almost out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home