Monday, January 07, 2008

Going to Seed

We're having a temporary little heat wave here in northern Ohio, sending the January temps into -- I kid you not -- the high 60s. Whew!

Seeing patches of green and smelling the dirt, then, has awakened my craving to plunge my fingers into the warming soil of my own garden. It's been three years since I had any semblance of an outdoor garden, and I miss it.

Thanks to a couple of friends, though, I hope to change all that in a few short months. The Innkeeper and I have worked out a plan to plant a couple of herb beds out the kitchen door at the Inn, with a possible small vegetable patch behind the shed (depending on how much light it will get). And the Absent-Minded Professor, possessing an itchy little green thumb himself, has offered to terrace part of his backyard so that I can put in a garden while his family is busy with other things this summer.


So it's a very good thing that I've been poring over two wonderful seed catalogs recently. Despite its lack of photos or color, the Fedco Seeds catalog is a treat to read for its vivid descriptions of fruits and vegetables and the experiences of hardy gardeners and farmers. (Their illustrations, some of a much earlier vintage, can be a riot, too!) I've dog-eared a number of pages and plan to put in a big order with the hope of growing a few varieties of beans for drying, some carrots, plenty of greens, some edible flowers, lots of herbs (at the Inn), and a handful of other items.


The Johnny's Selected Seeds catalog, on the other hand, is packed with color photos and many other varieties, so I suspect I will order a few things from them as well. (One of their Asian greens looks a lot like the Chinese "broccoli" that the fair Titania and I loved to get for dim sum years ago.)

I'm sure that, like many enthusiastic gardeners and farmers, I will probably overshoot myself and get more than I can plant. But how can I resist? My Dear Papa has agreed to help me maintain the one garden (since I offered him plenty of space for his beloved tomatoes), and the other is on my way home from work, so as long as I schedule garden time, I stand a chance of keeping up. (Famous last words, I know...)

Just give me some seeds, a patch of rich soil, and a beautiful day. I am so ready to dig my fingers into the garden again.

Anything is possible!

2 Comments:

At 1/16/2008 12:41 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

I love Fedco and have had great luck with most of the seed I buy from them. The catalog also makes some of my favorite winter reading.

 
At 1/16/2008 12:47 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I know! Isn't it the most delightful thing to read on a snowy winter evening? I just couldn't resist... and I am seriously looking forward to growing the beans for drying (including garbanzos, ta-daah!). I'm sooooo happy I will have a place to plant all these yummy things this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home