Saturday, January 12, 2008

Falling Into Granola Patterns

Now that the holidays are over, I can slip back into a comfortable weekend routine, which means that, aside from the weekly cleaning, I have more time for cooking!

I still have a quart of vegetable stock in the refrigerator, so I won't need to make a pot of that today, though I'm sure I'll make soup later today or tomorrow. I'm testing a new bread variation, and already the apartment is smelling just a little yeasty and delicious.

But for today, since holiday baking pulled me away from keeping my pantry filled with some of my favorite quick foods, I'm trying to address that lack. So I started my morning baking with a pan of granola.

It's been several months since I made granola, I think, so I've really reached the point of craving it. And while not all the ingredients I chose this morning were local, enough were to satisfy me for today: oats, maple sugar, maple syrup, and a touch of lavender.

I know that last one sounds unusual for granola, but I had decided to throw together dried cranberries, fresh orange peel, and chopped pecans, and somehow the lavender pipe up its little voice and demanded to be tossed in as well.

Who am I to argue with one of my favorite flavors? Especially when it's right?


That little hint of lavender (only 1/2 tsp dried buds) was just enough to transform a familiar flavor combination into something a little mysterious and enticing. What a nice treat for a winter morning!

I'm hoping to make pasta later today, and I'll see what else I make time for over the course of the weekend. After a few days of not wanting to cook, it makes me happy to get back into the kitchen to whip up some good nourishing food.

There's something to be said for falling back into those old patterns...

4 Comments:

At 1/14/2008 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm...great minds *do* think alike! I made orange pasta yesterday, and served it with thinly sliced mushrooms and a spinach chiffonade. Did I mention the marsala cream sauce for the finish? :-) It's all in the book "The Joy of Pasta", if you're interested.
JS

 
At 1/15/2008 6:56 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oooh, that does sound tasty, JS. And I'm kinda wondering... why didn't you invite me? ;-)

I'll get around to putting up Sunday's post so you can see the results of my pasta-making, too...

 
At 1/16/2008 1:54 AM, Blogger kitchenmage said...

Granola has been on my short list of things I need to make for a few weeks but for some reason I have not gotten there. I think I was waiting to read this since I adore lavender. Thanks!

 
At 1/16/2008 7:12 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Kitchenmage, it was one of those completely serendipitous things... I've been wanting to make granola with my oven-dried cherries, but I reached for the cranberries instead and thought, how can I make this rise above the obvious?

Ahhh, lavender, how I love thee... Hope this inspires, you, too! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home