Monday, December 24, 2007

Stollen Moments

Thanks to the holidays, I'm putting a little more effort into my breakfasts here at the Inn, baking some special treats for guests who are away from home for Christmas.

After my breakfast shift yesterday, I headed home and started a loaf of stollen, the German Christmas bread filled with candied fruit, usually soaked in brandy. I had no brandy on hand, but I soaked my home-dried cherries and raisins in water laced with Fiori di Sicilia, a lovely orange-vanilla extract, and worked them into a half-whole-wheat dough.

It smelled so good that I welcomed the chance this morning to cut into the crescent-shaped loaf and to warm up a few slices in the oven.


Those went out to the table for the first course along with the orange juice and a cup of vanilla yogurt topped with fresh raspberries (not local, obviously, but they were in the refrigerator and needed to be used before they molded) and a sprinkle of cocoa powder.


For the main course, I heated up more bacon and served it alongside a creamy potato and zucchini frittata with colby and jack cheeses.


The guests enjoyed the whole breakfast, but they did leave a slice of frittata on the platter. Personally, I'm grateful for the leftovers as that frittata really tasted good!

Since I had come in yesterday afternoon to prep vegetables and to check in new guests, I had plenty of prep time this morning, so once today's work was under control, I started on tomorrow's menu. I prepped and sauteed vegetables and started cinnamon roll dough, saving myself a good bit of time for Christmas.

I'm off to run a couple of Inn-related errands, but I'll be back tomorrow (or the next day?) with more cooking adventures...

2 Comments:

At 12/25/2007 11:45 AM, Blogger Ed Bruske said...

we were walking across town to catch a bus up the hill Sunday and passed Cafe Mozart, an old German deli and restaurant that seems so out of place these days. We went in to see what they might have out for Christmas and of course there were about 20 different kinds of Stollen, mostly the pre-packaged kind from Germany. We'll be giving it to my sister tonight--she's having us over for her famous Thai food. Makes perfect sense, no?

The innkeeping job sounds like tons of fun.

 
At 12/26/2007 7:56 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Wow, 20 kinds of stollen??? Oh my, I could have a field day in there.

Thai food sounds wonderful... why not have it for Christmas?

I don't know if I'd say TONS of fun, Ed, but I do enjoy the work... until I'm away from it and realize how exhausted I am! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home