Sunday, December 23, 2007

No Room at the Inn

Thank heaven I have two weeks away from my day job, because starting today, I'm working at the Inn for a week and a half straight.

The Innkeeper has headed off for a long holiday vacation with her family, and the Bistro Chef has left town for a few days for the same, so it's just me, stepping in as Assistant Innkeeper.

And let me tell you, it's going to be a busy week...!

Although I won't be serving a huge number of guests each morning for breakfast, I'll be cooking for anywhere from 2 to 8 people each day, some of whom are staying for multiple days. So not only do I need to make two-course breakfasts for more people than I usually cook for, but I need to keep the menus varied so no one gets bored.

I'm prepared, though. I've got my list of menus, my list of chores, my baking schedule, and my laptop (so I can blog about it all, of course!).

This morning, I had only two guests scheduled for breakfast, and I was ready with a simple menu.


I started off with the usual fruit cup, today consisting of vanilla yogurt, apple slices (local Honeycrisp apples, so tasty!), and a sprinkling of granola.


For the main course, I whipped up a cheese grits souffle, this time using spinach for the vegetable and a combination of colby and jack cheeses. The guests enjoyed the new twist to an old favorite, especially as it was accompanied by fresh biscuits and slices of bacon. (Of course, it would have been fine without the bacon, but the Innkeeper generally likes to have a little meat along with the main course, and most guests aren't vegetarian, so I can oblige them.)

I'm pleased that I had everything so well planned that I worked at a steady but gentle pace this morning, staying on top of the cleanup as well as the cooking, and the guests were delighted with everything. I'm sure it will get a little more hectic later in the week when more guests are around, but with the first solo day under my belt, I feel more confident.


Maybe if I keep this up, I'll find a present for me in that sleigh of Santa's, now parked out on the front porch!

I'll be sure to update you with further menus and adventures as the week progresses, so stay tuned!

2 Comments:

At 12/27/2007 2:24 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Kudos on your first successful days at the Inn, running the show. Are you just responsible for breakfast? Three meals a day can get so exhausting. It looks like your menus are coming along quite well. Sometimes oatmeal with grated apple, dried cranberries and walnuts can be a nice treat. I'm curious to see what else you whip up. I see in your 12/24 post you do frittata. Great choice. So filling without as much work as made-to-order eggs. Good luck holding down the fort!

 
At 12/28/2007 11:57 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Hey Bri! I just cover breakfast and room cleaning (when needed), and that's exhausting enough. I'm holding oatmeal in reserve for later if needed, but that topping for it sounds grand. I'm trying to do something different almost every day and to cover all the usual breakfast bases... whew!

Halfway down...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home