Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A Grate Boxing Day Breakfast

Here in the States, we don't tend to celebrate Boxing Day, a holiday more common to the British Commonwealth, when gifts are given to "employees and the poor."

But since I'm trying to make every breakfast at the Inn this week a festive occasion, I suppose I celebrated this holiday in a punny way by pulling out the big box grater (oooh, bad, I know!) and shredded carrots, zucchini, and potato to make my favorite confetti pancakes:


I backed that with a bowl of scrambled eggs (to which I had hoped to add some fresh snipped chives, but my chive pot has after many years shriveled up) and some bacon:


I started the meal with broiled grapefruit, a fruit dish that the Innkeeper introduced to me, and it seemed a sunny sweet way to begin the day:


Simple, but satisfying all around, especially after the feasting of Christmas Day, and the guests again shared their compliments. (Wow, they must be an easy crowd!)

Tomorrow I won't get a chance to take photos or blog about breakfast since the Bistro Chef will be back and working with me, but I do know that the menu will include French toast with carmelized apples, sausage, yogurt with orange wedges and dried cranberries, and pains au chocolat made with the rest of my croissant dough.

Almost halfway done with my week at the Inn... more to come...

7 Comments:

At 12/28/2007 6:25 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Yum! I'm sure the guests feel thoroughly spoiled. I'll have to try out that broiled grapefruit. What a tasty idea. Anything is better broiled. I LOVE your confetti pancakes. I've made them with zucchini and potato but never with carrot before. Of course, I'm sure it's fantastic. I've had a hankering for some incarnation of potato pancakes for months. My favorite way to serve them is with caramelized onions and sour cream. Just a heavenly dish morning noon or night. I think you've done a great job holding down the fort!

 
At 12/28/2007 7:35 PM, Blogger foodperson said...

Am I imagining it, or isn't there an old-timey broiled grapefruit presentation that includes the placement of an alcohol-soaked sugar cube on top and then lighting it? Now there's something to give your breakfast flare. (I can pun, too!) The pancakes look fab. I may have to try them sometime, though probably not for breakfast. Don't want to have to think for breakfast...

 
At 12/29/2007 10:17 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I've have positive responses from all the guests so far, Bri, and that helps me stay excited to get into the kitchen each morning and whip up something new for them. I do love potato pancakes, and the confetti pancakes fill the same craving. I especially like adding curry powder and then serving them with drained yogurt (remarkably like sour cream, and much lower in fat) and chutney!

You may well be right, Janet... wouldn't that be a hoot? (And yes, I appreciate the pun... I might have to steal it sometime!) I wish I'd known that before serving the grapefruit again this morning... the kids would have gone ga-ga! The Innkeeper suggested using maraschino cherries on top, but I just can't... my whole being revolts at the idea of those things.

The pancakes definitely make a good comfort food kind of dinner (especially the curry version I mentioned above)... so enjoy!

 
At 12/31/2007 4:36 PM, Blogger Ed Bruske said...

Good idea, the confetti pancake. That's something I might try with the kids in my food classes.

 
At 1/01/2008 11:18 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Worth a try, Ed... certainly that should be fun for them!

 
At 1/02/2008 12:48 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Oooo, the curry powder and drained yogurt are a fabulous suggestion! Then they are like pakora! Yum!

 
At 1/02/2008 2:47 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Almost like it! And now that you mention it, I'm wondering how it would be to throw some shredded spinach in with the potatoes and the curry powder... hmmmmm.... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home