Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Party Mixer

My Wonderful Parents are sneaky.

Last week, they told me that my Christmas present would be arriving early and that it would be delivered to the shop below my apartment. Naturally, a frisson of excitement resulted from hearing this news, and I pondered the possibilities.

Though my parents no longer reside in Florida, I had some hopes that they had arranged with friends or called Indian River themselves to have a box of fresh oranges sent to me for the holiday season. (I do love fresh citrus at this grey time of year!)

When My Dear Papa stopped by yesterday to pick me up for a visit with the Chef Mother, he met me downstairs, where he pointed out that my box had arrived.

I walked over, looking cautiously around the counter, and discovered...

...no oranges.

Nope. No citrus for me. But lest you think me disappointed, I would hasten to add that my present did actually have everything to do with food. Allow me to introduce you to my brand new 4 1/2-quart KitchenAid stand mixer!


Isn't it a beautiful monster? I've never had a stand mixer before, and I've always done very well with sheer arm power. But given my extensive baking plans for the holidays, My Wonderful Parents decided that I might just need a little help. (And hey, it was on sale!)

This is almost exactly like the big mixer the Chef Mother brought home from work the summer I took my 4-H bread project for the second year and I needed to churn out many different bread doughs. (You can see the dough hook in the lower right.) So you can bet that I'll be breaking it in (not literally, of course) soon as I step up my holiday baking plans.

I'm all in favor of using low-power kitchen equipment and prefer to do most things by hand, but I'm pretty sure that come December 25, I'm going to be very thankful for this machine.

So let the baking party begin! I'm ready!

4 Comments:

At 11/19/2007 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen:
That puppy is going to come in sooooo handy when you make breads as well. Enjoy!
JS

 
At 11/20/2007 7:18 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oh, I'm sure! Especially considering all the bread-making and -baking I plan to do this next month. (Am I nuts? Oh yeah.......)

Mind you, I'm sure I'll still knead some doughs by hand... just to keep up my upper body strength. Don't want to get TOO relaxed... ;-)

 
At 11/21/2007 6:30 PM, Blogger Tina said...

Welcome to the KitchenAid club!:-) I love, love, LOVE mine for making holiday cookies! I let it mix the dough while I put parchment on the cookie sheets, wash a few utensils, or measure other ingredients if needed. It's amazing how much time that can save me by the end of a day of baking. Especially come clean-up time. Enjoy!

 
At 11/23/2007 3:30 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

It'll take time to ease the hand-mixing habit, though. The bread I made for Thanksgiving got started at a ridiculously early hour of the day, and I automatically grabbed one of my other bowls and the wooden spoon.

Give me time... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home