Saturday, October 06, 2007

Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Market Bag, and Smile, Smile, Smile

It has been a long, exhausting, draining week. Almost every night has been full, and my head has been spinning with the continual activity. But bless their hearts, my dinner guests last evening graciously left early and allowed me to head to bed at a shockingly early hour so that I could get some much-needed rest.

When I woke up this morning, then, I felt more refreshed and ready to tackle... well, if not the world, then certainly the food corner of it. I whipped up a small cake and started a loaf of herb bread before heading down to the farmers' market.

And that, Dear Readers, is the best medicine ever: the Farmers' Market!

All that beautiful, delicious SOLE food (repeat after me: Sustainable, Organic, Local, Ethical!)... all the friendly faces... all the delightful conversations... there's just no better way to start the weekend!

My spirits lifted as I walked around and scouted out the week's harvest, and eventually I started filling my bags:


--butternut and delicata squash, zucchini, green beans, garlic, ground cherries, small red peppers, and thyme from the Cheerful Lady and her son;
--dried oyster mushrooms (for the fair Titania) from the local mushroom "farm";
--spelt flour, spelt pasta, and ginger cookies from the Spelt Baker;
--maple syrup from folks from a local church;
--a super-chocolate brownie from the local caterers;
--Northern Spy apples from an older fellow who's looking to give up his orchard;
--Himrod and Lakemont grapes (two "white" seedless varieties) from the local vineyard;
--Kennebec potatoes and tomatoes from the Gentleman Farmer's Wife; and
--bok choy and radishes from the Herb Farmer.

A few of those items -- the grapes, the thyme, the peppers -- are for drying so that I can cook with them later, and some things can go in longer-term storage (squash, potatoes, garlic). But I wanted to make sure that I didn't go overboard in buying fresh food for the week because I need to clean out the fridge soon!

Still, that's a great variety of produce for the coming week, a nice mix of late summer, early fall, and even early summer vegetables.

And that's more than enough to make me smile!

4 Comments:

At 10/07/2007 12:46 PM, Anonymous Bonnie said...

The farmers market is my therapy too, able to turn around even my crankiest mood. Whereas shopping for food at the supermarket always made me super tense, and I devised strategies for getting out of there as soon as possible. Is it the fresh air? The lack of shopping carts? The lack of advertising?

Hope you're refreshed and restored to start the week.

 
At 10/07/2007 2:16 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I think it's all of those things, plus the leisure to enjoy the people and to learn more about food that is obviously well loved. (The radishes I bought were practically polished, and their leaves were the cleanest and softest I've ever seen.)

Thanks, Bonnie... I hope I'm refreshed enough for the week, too!

 
At 10/07/2007 7:43 PM, Blogger Alison and Julie said...

i found your blog while searching for a 'georgian cheese bread' recipe--I went to a small college in Ohio where I tasted it for the first time and am wondering if it is the same bread that was served at our Friday Luncheon Cafe. If you read this please email me at flotwood@gmail.com

thanks!

 
At 10/08/2007 7:06 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Alison and Julie, I don't know if it's the same bread you've enjoyed before, but I'll send you the recipe and you can try it for yourself!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home