Saturday, September 01, 2007

The Uncommon Market

You know, I can tell myself each week before I go to the farmers' market that I'm not going to buy so much and that I'm going to have a purpose for everything that I pick up. I know at this point what is in season (approximately) and when to get it.

But when I get to the market, all resolve fades away in the face of such luxurious bounty. And when I find something new, it's even harder to resist.

Take this morning. I had every intention of limiting myself to some basics (including the last batch of paste tomatoes). Yet I ended up making a trip home with a very heavily-laden backpack, a full basket, and another bag -- and then I headed back for more.

So what was so irresistible? (Besides everything?)


First of all, grapes are coming in like mad, and this year is the first I've ever seen such variety. A new fruit farmer brought Venus grapes (on the left) and a lovely variety of white grapes (not Thompson), and the local orchard brought the other red grapes (Fredonia, similar in taste to the famous Concord). I'm still planning to get lots of Concords when they come in so that I can make juice, but I thought I might make a small batch of juice from these lovely reds.

My other finds included:


--kale, beets, eggplant, and Brussels sprouts from the Fiddlin' Farmer;
--paste tomatoes, two pie pumpkins, two unknown squash varieties, garlic, and onions from the Cheerful Lady and Handyman Joe;
--ground cherries from the Flower Lady;
--Jerusalem artichokes, Laotian chilies, and raw honey from the Herb Lady;
--a pint of honey from the Bee Man;
--dark chocolate candies and a big basket of Paula Red apples (good for applesauce) from the Potato Lady;
--Yukon Gold potatoes from the Gentleman Farmer's Wife; and
--grapes and fingerling potatoes from the local orchard.

See? No sales resistance whatsoever. I enter the market, and visions of pizza sauce, grape juice, applesauce, and other delicacies enter my head, despite the full weekend schedule ahead of me. The money just flies out of my pocket.

But I'm not complaining. I'm really looking forward to trying it all!

2 Comments:

At 9/04/2007 9:31 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

What a haul! You've got your work--and eating pleasure--cut out for you.

 
At 9/05/2007 3:10 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I sure do, Janet -- but it's definitely worth it, even if I'm busy for the rest of the week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home