Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Time Oat for Dessert

Last week's pear crumb cake experiment got me back in the mood for home-baked desserts, so I sorted through recipes over the weekend.

In leafing through the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking cookbook, I found an oatmeal cookie recipe that sounded like it was worth a try, especially for Eat Local Challenge Month. Unlike most oatmeal cookies, this one contained no flour -- just oats. And I still have plenty of local oats!

Of course, other non-local ingredients made it into the batter, like pecans and baking powder and seasonings, but the eggs, cider vinegar, and butter were all local, so I felt pretty good about counting the cookies as mostly local.

I didn't really end up with a solid dough, like with most cookies, the kind you have to shove off the spoon with your finger. But though I spilled piles of batter on the baking sheet, the cookies didn't spread too much, and they held up well once they were cool.


In case you're wondering, the cider vinegar, which may strike some as an oddity with the rest of the ingredients, served two very useful purposes: it combined with the baking powder to create a more airy texture, and its cider flavor added a good tang to keep the cookie from being too sweet.

The first two pans held cookies that were just the right size -- not too big, not too small -- but after that, I had enough batter for one giant cookie. And in the interests of quality control, I enjoyed that one for dessert along with a glass of cider.


(I know it's hard to tell in the photo, but the cookie was about 6" in diameter -- a true queen-sized cookie. Or is that a Baklava-Queen-sized cookie?)

Tomorrow I'll take a few of these goodies to the Chef Mother when My Dear Papa and I visit her in the hospital. Should be good medicine!

As for me, I'll enjoy kicking back with a couple of these for dessert tomorrow myself!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home