Saturday, September 15, 2007

Succumbing to Market Forces

Since I had to head off to the Inn early this morning to help with breakfast, I knew I wouldn't get to the farmers' market until later in the morning.

That's all right, I thought. After all, I'm almost done with canning, my budget is low this week, and I don't really need a whole lot of food to get me through the week.

But as you've all figured out by now, I have a classic case of Low Sales Resistance where the farmers' market is concerned, and I ended up carrying home more produce than I had expected, with more plans for cooking and preserving.

The Cheerful Lady had more paste tomatoes this week, and as soon as I saw them, I had visions of making another batch of spaghetti sauce to freeze since I only have a couple jars
tucked away. I also bought more small red onions and a pair of butternut squashes from her, as well as a little bag of fresh thyme (to be dried).

Then I turned and found the sweet older couple back this week, with their table loaded with homegrown Concord grapes. That enticing fragrance pulled me in, and the next thing I knew, I had a quart of grapes for making more juice.

And on I went, filling my basket:

--a quart of maple syrup for winter baking
--a quart of tomatoes and a box of garlic from the Gentleman Farmer's Wife
--more spelt flourand a bag of spelt berries
--a gallon of apple cider from the local orchard
--baklava from the Pita Princess (her last week this year)

I didn't go too far overboard, simply because I couldn't carry any more, but that was definitely enough for this week. At least I resisted buying apples for another week... I don't think I have the strength to consider applesauce or an apple pie on top of everything else!

But I defy any of you to blame me for my spendthrift ways when the temptation -- fresh food from friendly folks -- is so good!

2 Comments:

At 9/17/2007 1:55 PM, Anonymous jasmine said...

talk about lack of resistance -- I have some cooking to do tonight before I loose a ton of produce I bought this weekend at the market. You are impressive with your resolve to get it done right away

 
At 9/17/2007 2:02 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I admit I didn't get as much done this weekend as I would have liked, due to other factors... but the weekend is usually the best time for me to do the serious cooking because I'm often too worn out during the week. Guess I'll have to find a way to get it done anyway this week...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home