Thursday, September 13, 2007

Honeydew You Like This?

Over Labor Day weekend, I stole My Dear Papa for the day, wanting to give him a break from unpacking the apartment and from looking in on the Chef Mother at the hospital. Away we drove, heading northwest, until we reached the small town of Milan and the annual Melon Festival.

For some reason, I expected something more along the lines of a traditional county fair, with a little more in the way of melon mania. Mostly, though, we found tents with people selling all sorts of useless trinkets, the usual array of carnival games and rides, and lots and lots of food.

We enjoyed roasted ears of corn, followed by cabbage and noodles, for lunch... not the usual "fair fare" but tasty nonetheless. I intended to save room, though, for the cantaloupe ice cream and watermelon sherbet offered by the local dairy. The cantaloupe ice cream was delicious, smooth and creamy without the usual aftertaste of the melon, but the watermelon sherbet was a little too cloying and pink for my taste. (I think I'd have preferred watermelon ice.)

I wanted to pick up melons for myself as well as for the Innkeeper, but when I saw that the melons available at the festival ran around $4 per melon, I thought we'd better head up the road for a better price. Closer to the lake, at our favorite orchard, we found a good bargain on fresh melons, and My Dear Papa even found the last peaches of the season.

So why didn't I tell you about this little outing sooner? Well, I had very specific ideas for those melons, wanting to experiment with some new recipes and to spin the adventure into my latest post for the Ethicurean, my third and final post as a guest writer.


With that milestone achieved, I'm pleased to announce that I've been asked to join the Ethicurean team on a regular basis, so you'll be reading more from me over there. (As you can see, I've already started researching some other ideas for posts.) I'll still keep you up to date here on my regular cooking activities, but I hope to explore some different topics and highlight the Ohio food scene with this additional writing.

And though I'm afraid I don't have any more of that lovely honeydew bellini slush left to share with you, I hope you'll still help me celebrate this very exciting new venture! (I'll even share the recipe... it's a keeper!)

Honeydew-Mint Bellini Breezer

I found the original recipe from Cooking Light, and I only made a couple of changes. Aside from the lime, all my ingredients were local, and you can be sure I savored that fact as much as the flavor!

1 c honeydew melon, pureed
2 T honey
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tsp fresh mint leaves
1/2 c sparkling white wine (I used Mon Ami's Spumante)

In blender or food processor, combine melon, honey, lime juice, and mint. Puree until smooth. Stir in sparkling wine. Pour mixture into a baking dish and freeze, stirring every 45 minutes, for 3 hours, until frozen and slushy. Stir with fork and scrape into glasses. Serve garnished with sprig of mint.

Serves 2

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9/13/2007 9:20 PM, Anonymous jasmine said...

Congrats on the new writing gig!! Wonder if there will be any melon at the market this weekend to make that yummy Bellini?

 
At 9/14/2007 7:13 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Jasmine! Hope you find a perfect melon... this drink is definitely worth making!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home