Saturday, September 15, 2007

Hey, I Clean Up Pretty Well!

It's Saturday evening, my back hurts like mad, and I'm hungry. But despite my foray at the farmers' market this morning (or perhaps because of), I haven't got anything ready to eat. And honestly, after eating out more than I really would have liked this week, I don't want to head back out and go somewhere else for dinner.

What's a girl gotta do to get a decent meal?

Well, given the state of my refrigerator, I've gotta do a little cleaning, that's what.

See, I still have plenty of other items left over from the past two weeks, and before I have to pitch them into the local compost heap, I'd better use what I can. So I scrounged together the following items:

--a squash with a soft spot
--half an onion
--the last clove of garlic in the bulb
--wilting radicchio
--one lonely pear
--the remains of a jug of cider
--half a very crusty loaf of stale (but not fuzzy!) bread
--a bunch of forlorn little dinosaur kale leaves (nowhere near Tyrannosaurus size) from a pot on the window seat

Sounds pretty pathetic, doesn't it? And yet...


It looks pretty impressive, don't you think?

The bed of greens consisted of about 1 cup of shredded radicchio and the handful of kale leaves, wilted in a pan with about a teaspoon of olive oil and a sprinkling of bread crumbs.

The squash puree began with sauteed onion and garlic, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper, with a cubed pear, clumps of baked squash, and a splash of cider thrown in and cooked down until soft and flavorful.

And I crowned the whole dish with yet more breadcrumbs, sauteed with just a hint of olive oil, rosemary, and pepper.

It tasted as wonderful as it looked, and aside from the olive oil, salt, and pepper, it was all local. Now I have a little more room in the fridge (and the kitchen) for cooking with the new produce from this weekend's outing.

But maybe not just yet...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home