Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Put Up and Shut Up

After making the tomato sauce over the weekend, I knew it was high time to deal with the rest of the tomatoes sitting around, so last night I skinned and canned 5 1/2 pints of crushed tomatoes.

Whew! Finally, the big platter of tomatoes was empty! And aside from the small tomatoes that will go into a batch of salsa later this week, I could take a breather until this weekend's farmers' market.

Or so I thought.

The stormy weather we've had here lately has pounded on local gardens, so this morning I headed into work only to be the stunned recipient of a lot more tomatoes, courtesy of the Archivist.

She brought Black Krims, Sun Golds, Romas, more pear tomatoes -- a bag full of ripe and almost overripe tomatoes, begging to be used.

Oh, my. As if I didn't have enough to cook this week, and with the weather heating up again, suddenly I had more work to do.

I know, I know. My Dear Readers will take this opportunity to point out that not so long ago, I declared "you can never have too many tomatoes." Go ahead, say it. No, really, go ahead. Heaven knows I heard them ringing in my ears as I gingerly accepted the bag.

As is so often the case, my words came back to bite me. And I knew that here was a classic case of "put up or shut up."

So I did. Both.

Having both dinner with my Wonderful Parents and my dance class on the schedule this evening, I knew there wasn't much I could do with the tomatoes tonight, but I could at least blanch and skin the Sun Golds and put up a jar of their crushed pulp in the refrigerator. (I'm thinking of making a curry sauce with them; we'll see.) I gave the Black Krim to My Dear Papa for eating straight up, and I set the smaller tomatoes aside for later use.


At least for now, the others will hold until I can do something more productive with them.

I suppose every now and then I need a lesson in being careful about what I say, lest I end up having to eat my words.

But at least in this case, my words will be tasty!

2 Comments:

At 9/23/2007 11:51 PM, Blogger Kansas A said...

Oh I know what you mean... I've already done stewed and raw pack and still have a five gallon bucket sitting here... with more tomatoes in the garden! But my excuse for quitting tonight is I ran out of lids... yaaaah! But I guess there's always tomorrow :)

 
At 9/24/2007 7:21 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I have to laugh over your relief at running out of lids... I know EXACTLY what you mean! More often this summer, though, I've been stymied by running out of jars... which is frustrating more than anything, especially when the produce is sitting there, not getting any younger...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home