Monday, August 06, 2007

Lassi, Come Home

Since I picked up a small organic watermelon at the farmers' market on Saturday, I've been thinking about slicing it open and refreshing my hunger and thirst with chunks of its sweet pink flesh.

So imagine my surprise when I cut it in half and discovered that the inside was a creamy white color, with cream-colored seeds that blended into the whole!

Well, one taste proved that it was still a watermelon, sweet and juicy, so I decided to cut up the entire fruit, setting aside the rind for another cooking project (more on that later).

And to enjoy my first serving of melon, I decided to revisit a recipe I came across two years ago: watermelon lassi.

Since I had already cubed the melon, the lassi was a cinch to throw together, with a few dollops of yogurt, a drizzling of local honey, and sprinklings of cardamom and salt. (I omitted the ice because, well, I didn't have any on hand.)

Blended until smooth and poured into a glass, this quick drink made a refreshing start to my lunch.


While I'm sure the drink would look prettier with the pink watermelon, once I had drunk it all, it didn't really matter what color it was.

And I think I can find a good home for the rest of that juicy melon.

2 Comments:

At 8/09/2007 3:52 PM, Anonymous jasmine said...

I had that surprise only mine was yellow inside -- you think they might mention that at the market -- I kept mistaking the watermelon for a little non local indulgence in my fridge (fresh pineapple) but it sure was good

 
At 8/09/2007 3:55 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

The farmer I bought mine from wasn't sure what the color would be as all her melons had gotten a bit mixed up as seeds, but knowing that I always get good produce from her, I was up for the surprise. It's also been nice when I've added fresh peach to the melon lassi recipe.

Thanks for stopping by, jasmine, and a tip o' the Guinness to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home