Monday, June 25, 2007

That's a Wrap!

Now that my guest has returned home, I'm enjoying a couple of days of slow living to round out my vacation. And while you might think that I decided to spend the time cooking or baking or canning, this time around, you'd be wrong. (Though there are cucumbers and dill begging to be turned into pickles...)

I'm devoting this time to other endeavors that are usually set aside in favor of more immediate tasks, and I've even managed to get away a little bit each day to enjoy those things more fully. So when it's time to eat, either I'm going to let someone else cook, or I'm going to throw together some very easy dishes.

Thankfully, I gathered plenty of ingredients for easy meals at the farmers' market on Saturday, and the most obvious solution for lunches on my vacation has been to make wraps with the lovely whole wheat tortillas I found.

The new baker at the market, tucked at the edge of the crowd near the gazebo, had loaves of wheat bread as well as the tortillas, so I stopped to talk with her a little bit to find out where her wheat came from. Turns out that the hard red wheat she used actually came from Montana, which was a bit of a disappointment, but she did make the tortillas at home, often with her children's help as they enjoyed operating the tortilla press.

I was reminded of the frustration that Alisa Smith and J. B. MacKinnon reported in Plenty about finding local sources of flour, and suddenly I could sympathize with their situation. If I'm trying to eat locally as much as possible, what do I do when faced with locally-processed tortillas that use wheat from a long ways away?

It's times like these that I find a little compromise is in order. I do occasionally like to buy tortillas for various dishes, but those that I find at the grocery store aren't local in the least. So it's still better to buy the locally-made tortillas from someone I can talk to about her mode of production and quality control, even if all the ingredients aren't local. (Hey, if I can still buy chocolate, I can bend a little in this situation!)

So, dilemma resolved, I pulled out the tortillas along with the Pita Princess's fantastic hummus, a pesticide-free cucumber from the Gentleman Farmer, and organic red leaf lettuce from the Fiddlin' Farmer, ready to make lunch.


In just seconds, I had a refreshing, cold, and nutritious sandwich that I quickly devoured in the rising temperature of the day.


With a little leftover beet salad, I had just enough of a meal to nourish me for an afternoon of more vacation pursuits.

Easy to make, easy to eat, easy to clean up... leaving me with more time for what I'd really rather be doing on my time off.

And if you'll excuse me, I'm going to head back to that now. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home