Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Persona Non Frittata

When I surveyed the remains of Saturday's farmers' market shopping spree, I knew I'd better do something with the remaining asparagus... and soon.

I wanted to freeze some to have on hand next winter, so I chopped, steamed, and blanched all but a handful of stalks and tossed them into a couple of freezer bags. I hadn't frozen any asparagus last year, and I thought it might be nice to give it a try, since come February or March I might need just a hint of spring to tide me over.

As for the rest, well, I knew I wanted them in my dinner. But having already indulged in a simple pasta dish and feeling much too hungry just to saute them and eat them relatively unadorned, I pondered my options. A quiche sounded just right, but I didn't really feel like making a crust after a bumpy day at work. And that left me with... a crustless quiche. A frittata, really.

Now that I could do. I'd already started vegetable prep and had only an onion and some garlic to slice, and I could even throw in some leftover "succotash" from a previous meal. (If you're keeping track, that means all the vegetables were local.) Add some fresh chopped dill to the saute, combine with a couple of local eggs beaten with local milk, spread it in a pie dish and top with (non-local) parmesan cheese, and bake.


Surprisingly simple, fast, and easy... and less than an hour later, there was dinner, warm and hearty and fresh from the oven, the perfect comforting dinner on a rare chilly June evening.

And really, who doesn't need a little comfort now and then?


Asparagus Frittata

I don't know if this entirely fits the definition of frittata as I didn't bake it in the same pan in which I sauteed the vegetables, but I don't really care. I just decided to throw everything together without a recipe for once, and, well, sometimes you just have to slap a label on. You don't have to add any vegetables other than asparagus, though fresh chopped spinach might work well or strips of red pepper. Feel free to experiment... that's what I did!

1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 spring onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c chopped asparagus
1 c other vegetables (like corn, beans, spinach, etc.; can be omitted or lessened)
2 T chopped fresh dill
salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1/3 c milk
up to 1/4 c shredded parmesan cheese (Swiss cheese would also work well)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a pie plate and set aside.

In small skillet or saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until fragrant. Add asparagus and saute for another 3 minutes or so. Add other vegetables and cook until starting to soften. Add dill, cook another minute, then set aside and season with salt and pepper.

In medium bowl, beat eggs and egg whites with milk until well blended.

Spread vegetable mixture in pie plate, cover with egg mixture, and sprinkle with cheese. (You might want to set the pie plate on a baking sheet to make it easier to move it in and out of the oven without fear of spills.) Bake for 45 minutes, until eggs are set and frittata is lightly browned.

Cool, slice, and serve.

Serves 6

2 Comments:

At 6/07/2007 12:19 PM, Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

Looks good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

 
At 6/08/2007 8:13 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

It's a pretty sketchy outline of a recipe, with plenty of room for changes, so don't hesitate to experiment. Hope you enjoy it, Ambrosia!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home