Friday, June 22, 2007

Feta Under Glass

Ahhh, Summer. You've arrived at last, on the wing of a fresh breeze and pleasantly warm (but not hot) days. And in your honor, I'm taking a little vacation.

For the weekend, I'll have the pleasant company of a fellow local-food-lover, Dear Reader Tina, and we have a delightful dinner at the Bistro planned for this evening, followed by the requisite farmers' market outing tomorrow and plenty of cooking tomorrow evening. I can hardly wait, because it's always a thrill to spend time with friends who love food as much as I do.

Since our dinner reservation is for later in the evening, I decided to greet her with a couple of small hors-d'oeuvres, just to take the edge off her hunger after her drive. Along with a repeat of the shredded beet and ginger salad, I decided to use some of the French bread I baked this morning to make a quick sort of "bruschette" (though not exactly). I didn't want to turn the oven on for such a small project, so I decided to devise a makeshift solar "oven" and try solar cooking, something I've wanted to do for a while.

I set a few slices of bread on the plate, topped them with fresh sprigs of thyme from my windowsill and crumbled feta cheese, drizzled them with olive oil and sprinkled them with black pepper, then covered them with a glass lid and set them in the sun for about an hour.


Granted, it's the kind of cooking that might not pass the strictest health department test, but I figured the cheese would get sufficiently warm to become spreadable, and for an hour, the heat wouldn't be a problem.

When I lifted the lid at the "end" of the "cooking" time, I found my theory proven: the feta was, indeed, softer, and more easily spread.


When Tina arrived, bearing her generous hostess gift of a trio of fresh kohlrabi, I quickly peeled and sliced one kohlrabi to add to our small hors-d'oeuvres plates, and we sat by the window enjoying good food, good company, and a little people-watching as well.

It's a good start to what promises to be a fabulous weekend, so stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home