Sunday, May 27, 2007

Inn the Mood for a Holiday

Isn't it lovely to have a whole three-day weekend to begin the summer? Wouldn't you love to get away, even for a little while, to some hidden place where you can relax and enjoy the beauty of nature and good food?

I have just the place for you! I'm headed to join the Innkeeper for a cooking spree, and you're welcome to join us.


I have to head straight into the kitchen, but you're welcome to sit out here on the front porch, surrounded by the lush colors of bougainvillea, impatiens, and wisteria. We'll even bring your coffee or tea out to you so that you can enjoy the morning breezes while we create even more enticing fragrances inside.

When everything's ready, we'll call you into the dining room, laid out in elegant perfection for you and the other guests (and there's a full house this weekend, thanks to the big craft show in town).


As always, the Innkeeper has a well-balanced menu planned for the guests' enjoyment, starting with fresh fruit: grapefruit sprinkled with brown sugar and broiled.


After that, you can have your choice of currant-studded scones (not my recipe, but still homemade and delicious) or moist pound cake:


Along with that, you can select sausage or bacon, if you're so inclined, along with rich French toast made with a hearty pain de campagne from a local bakery. (I regret that I don't have a photo of that, but as I was "promoted" to making the main course this week, I was too busy dredging the bread and keeping two skillets full of toast to grab the camera.)

Sit back and enjoy that second cup of coffee or tea. Take the time to talk to the other guests -- they're an interesting lot and very personable! Sniff those lusciously fragrant peonies on the mantelpiece -- yes, they were just picked yesterday from the gardens here. Go ahead and snag that last scone or piece of French toast -- we just want you to be happy and well fed before you head out and start the rest of your day.

Despite the fact that helping the Innkeeper like this means about 3 to 4 hours of work for me on a day off -- and without pay -- it's rather like a holiday for me as I get to do something I love, spend time with a good friend, meet interesting people, and just generally do something new and different. And when the Innkeeper tells me that if she were able, she'd hire me (for real money), I feel like I'm doing something not only fun but useful, supporting a local business as well as a friend.

And I am always in the mood for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home