Monday, April 16, 2007

Swimming in the Polenta

Most days, I get home from work and don't want to fuss with cooking. That probably sounds familiar to most of you! I get some cooking done on the weekend, try to stretch it out through the week, try to have a few things handy for quick-fix meals, and then end up going out more than I'd like.

Sigh.

You've probably noticed, though, that some of my favorite quick-fix meals involve broccoli. That includes my favorite broccoli-walnut pasta (and variations) as well as broccoli pizza. I figure, maybe I'm relying on starches too much sometimes to fill me up, but if I throw in plenty of healthy green veggies, it's all right.

Sometimes, though, I can actually get myself in gear on a weeknight and make something that's a little more complex, still easy, and still healthy. (AND still have leftovers for lunches!)

Enter the polenta pizza pie.

I found a recipe in the New Moosewood Cookbook a number of years ago for a Polenta Pie topped with sauteed vegetables, and after my first attempt at it (when the amount of polenta the recipe made ended up filling two pie pans), I discovered that the gritty-creamy bite of the crust made it a novel variation worth repeating.

Having given it some extra thought over the weekend, I decided to whip up a pan of polenta tonight, using corn meal from the farmers' market. After spreading it in my favorite pie plate, I let it cool while I simmered tomato sauce (canned from last year's market tomatoes) with fresh oregano and thyme from my herb pots, a little balsamic vinegar, a dash of pepper, and a sprinkling of goat cheese. Once that had thickened sufficiently, I spread it over the polenta, topped it with chopped broccoli that I had put in the freezer after last year's farmers' market plus more goat cheese, and baked it.

And voila!


Dinner is served! For a dish that really didn't take long overall to make, I not only had the satisfaction of enjoying something healthy, relatively low-fat, and nutritious, but I also had an almost entirely local meal. And that tasted gooooood.

Now, of course, I'm swimming in leftovers. But that's really not such a bad thing when they taste this good!

2 Comments:

At 4/22/2007 7:34 PM, Anonymous L'home bombeta said...

Guauuu. Looks delicious and some kinf of healthy for being a Pizza. i will try for sure. Nice discover. Come here when not knowing what to eat. Bye.

 
At 4/23/2007 7:29 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks for stopping by! Like any pizza, the polenta pizza can be as healthy or as decadent as you like, I think, depending on what toppings you add. I restrained myself a good bit on the amount of cheese added to this one!

Hope you enjoy it when you give it a try!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home