Friday, April 27, 2007

Penny-Wise Eat Local Challenge: Day 5

The trouble with setting goals for yourself is that sometimes life has a way of interrupting your plans for reaching those goals.

I started the morning with a repeat of yesterday's breakfast: same old cornmeal biscuits, same old juice, different herb tea with same old honey. I do actually tend to approach breakfasts like this, by making a large quantity of something and repeating it over and over until it's gone, so don't think that I'm bored with it! I just don't have anything new to say about it.

By lunchtime, I was glad to have the last piece of pizza tucked into my lunch bag, because that was all I could handle. At some point in the morning, I developed a comprehensive migraine and wasn't really in the mood for anything new and exciting.

When I got home from work, I immediately headed to bed in hopes of alleviating the migraine somewhat, but by the time I got up an hour or so later, all I could think to do for dinner was to make popcorn. I had planned to try making pasta tonight, but believe me, that just wasn't going to happen.

So, on the one hand, I got through the day by spending only $3 or so on my food. On the other hand, I have no exciting food stories to share with you, other than the all-too-familiar realization that when you're feeling under the weather, you're more likely to reach for quick and easy convenience foods. Thankfully, in this case that comfort food was local.

In related news, the folks over at the Eat Local Challenge have asked participants to share stories of their Challenge experience this week, and I wrote a more general piece on my reflections for them to post. Give their site a visit and read some of the other stories, too!

In the meantime, I'm going to get more rest and shake this dreadful headache so that I can cook some interesting new dishes featuring more local food this weekend.

Meet you back here tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home