Thursday, April 26, 2007

Penny-Wise Eat Local Challenge: Day 4

Though the work week is winding down, I'm only at the halfway mark with this week's Penny-Wise Eat Local Challenge. And I'm afraid today's report won't be too exciting, because my menus were almost identical to yesterday's.

I started the day with two more of those tender cornmeal biscuits, though I topped them with rose jelly from last year's farmers' market instead; a small glass of grape juice; and a cup of herbal tea with honey. Very soothing!

By mid-morning, I craved a little pick-me-up, and I headed to the nearby cafe for a small decaf mocha. So much for local! I have a serious weakness for mochas, though I'm trying hard to get down to just one a week (and hopefully less), and today I just couldn't resist. I don't think it will bump me over budget for this week, and I'm learning to be more mindful when I do indulge, so I'm learning something, at least.

At lunchtime, I enjoyed another couple slices of that good broccoli pizza, along with a chance to sit and write a bit.

Of course, when I got home, I felt a bit peckish, so I noshed on a biscuit and a few morsels of that buttery Gouda that's been sitting in the fridge. After that, I reheated the rest of yesterday's vegetable stew and dumplings, and after such a hearty dinner, I needed nothing else for the rest of the evening.

So, a bit of a boring day overall, but don't worry, I expect to get back to cooking this weekend! In terms of the week's Challenge budget, today's meals totaled a little bit higher, thanks to the mocha: approximately $8.25, which is still well under the average of not quite $10 per person per day.

I've also been keeping tabs on others who are taking this week's Challenge, thanks to the posts over at the Eat Local Challenge web site. It's good to find out how others are managing their exceptions (and cravings!) and what goals they've set for themselves, because it helps me to think a little more about what I'm doing and ways I can do more.

Are any of you Dear Readers doing this Challenge as well... if not now, perhaps later? Let me know!

2 Comments:

At 4/27/2007 11:19 AM, Anonymous Kim U said...

We're still in our winter non-local habits here, but I'll definitely consider doing the penny-wise challenge as we move further into spring and summer. It's been fun reading about your week though! I think we're going to try to preserve more in the summer this year, too.

 
At 4/27/2007 11:26 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Kim! Each year I found I've been able to preserve a little more, and drying vegetables has really helped to extend the season on many of those (esp. those veggies I'd use in soups anyway). Between your CSA and farmers' market, I think you'll do well with this challenge when you decide to launch it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home