Thursday, April 19, 2007

And Now in More Local News...

Eating locally is definitely catching on!

The Locavores group, based in San Francisco, has issued a new challenge on their Eat Local Challenge blog: the Penny-Wise Eat Local Challenge, a one-week challenge to see if eating locally can be done affordably.

Because many times locally produced food does cost more -- thanks to a more transparent cost that benefits the farmer almost entirely, instead of having the price knocked down to subsidies and giving little back to the farmer -- eating locally has gotten an "elitist" cachet that it doesn't need. The Locavores challenge us all to prove that image wrong. And they're getting a little extra press from the San Francisco Chronicle, so check it out!

I think I'll be able to manage my "assigned" budget of $68 for the week since I still have a good variety of foods stashed away from last year's farmers' market, but the trick will be those non-local things that tend to creep into my diet (like a morning coffee!). The Locavores do have a set of guidelines posted, which helps, but I can already see I'm going to have to be a little creative in my meal planning next week!
I'll try to keep you all posted on a regular basis as to how the week's challenge goes for me. Should be fun!

(And I see that they've also designated September to be their Eat Local Challenge month this year... you have time to prepare yourself!)

Not that I expect that most of you reading this blog need another reason to eat locally, but my faithful newshound friend, Mr. Clean, recently directed me to a San Diego.com article exploring how the recent "Pet food recall raises questions about the safety of imported foods." I really hate to say I told you so, but... well.

On a happier note, though, Deborah Madison (author of Local Flavors, one of my new favorite cookbooks) has a piece over at Culinate that encourages us all to "Savor the taste of local." And why not?

Not strictly about local foods, my new favorite blog, No Impact Man, has a thoughtful article that explores not only gender roles within the household but also how we can view chores (including cooking) as something beyond drudgery and time-consuming: they can enrich our life by bringing our families together to do the work that is important and nourishing to our bodies and souls. This re-emphasis on the domestic or household economy is one that occurs frequently in Wendell Berry's writings, and it's one that I've come to appreciate more and more in my own life.

By supporting local foods and doing more cooking myself (as opposed to eating out or reaching for processed convenience food on a regular basis), I feel like in my own small way I'm doing something supremely important, even if it takes more time and energy -- there's an undeniable satisfaction in making do for myself and in sharing that joy with others.

And isn't that what it's all about?

3 Comments:

At 4/19/2007 2:25 PM, Blogger mark said...

Hey BQ,
Thanks for the Culinate mention...we love Deborah as well. Stay tuned, there is more coming, we hope, after her return from a Euro adventure.

By the way, on your pet food note, did you see the article by Jim Dixon on his homemake dog food recipe? (http://www.culinate.com/read/first_person/Going+to+the+dogs) You might like it as well.

Love your site by the way, simple, clean and fun!

Cheers,
- Mark -

 
At 4/19/2007 2:27 PM, Blogger mark said...

Oops...typo, I mean "homemade", not "homemake"

Cheers,
- Mark -

 
At 4/19/2007 3:09 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Hello, Mark, and thanks for stopping by! While I don't have pets, I'm sure there are pet-lovers out there who might appreciate the link you suggested.

And thanks for sharing in the fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home