Sunday, March 25, 2007

Hugs and Biscuits

We all need a little comfort now and then, and that comfort can come in many forms: a talk with a friend, a warm hug, a walk in the sunshine. For many people, comfort also comes in the form of food: fresh bread, macaroni and cheese, cookies, you name it.

I've had a bit of a stressful week, so when I got up this morning, I decided to perk myself up with one of my favorite brunches: fresh orange juice, coffee, cheese grits, and homemade biscuits.

Sounds like it would take a lot of time to pull that all together, no? But not really... from start to finish, it took no more than half an hour. I must be getting better at whipping up fresh biscuits, as well as at multitasking in the kitchen!

You can't get much simpler than biscuits: flour, baking powder, salt, butter, milk, and sometimes even eggs. And I even cut corners a little bit this time around, working the dough together with my hands and patting it out before cutting the biscuits, instead of kneading the dough for a little longer and then using a rolling pin.

Granted, that meant that my biscuits ended up looking a little more like scones than your typical biscuits:


And while my scones have been known to be tender, these biscuits easily surpassed them. I split open two, slathered them with fresh country butter from the local dairy, and fairly floated away with the lightness of that crumb filling my belly.


After a hearty brunch, a good talk with a friend, and plenty of hugs, I started to feel more like myself again and almost ready to face another week.

Next time you're feeling blue, you might want fresh biscuits, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home