Sunday, February 11, 2007

Have a Heart!

After baking all those chocolate treats to share with others for Valentine’s Day, I had yet another idea for a bit of holiday baking.

I know you must be thinking, wasn’t that enough? Three kinds of chocolate desserts, and you want more?

Well, yes.

But let me explain. Aside from the samples I ate for strict quality control checking, I kept very few of those little morsels. And the additional baking I had in mind was for breakfasts and coffee breaks. So, like last year, for myself I baked heart-shaped scones.

The question that always arises when I decide to make scones is, what do I want to put into them? What flavors do I want to highlight? Will they be on the fruity side? Would spices and nuts be preferable? What about herbs? Do I want sweet or savory? And there’s always the possibility of chocolate.

This time out, I decided on a combination: dried cherries (a local gift from Mr. Nice Guy), chocolate chips, and shredded coconut, all pulled together in a maple sugar-enhanced whole wheat dough with vanilla, almond, and coconut extracts.

(Is your mouth watering yet?)

I slapped the dough together pretty quickly, adding a little extra flour to give it the body it needed, then patted it out on a floured countertop and cut the dough into large, thick hearts.

Just a few minutes in the oven, and they came out golden brown and fragrant. It’s a wonder I didn’t eat them all up! (Don’t worry, I do have a smidgen of restraint. Sometimes.)

I enjoyed two for breakfast, and I stashed the rest in a tin for my coffee breaks this week (along with a few I’ll share with the ladies at my favorite break time hangout at work).

And my heart will be very happy with this little treat this week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home