Monday, December 18, 2006

Orange You Glad It's Christmas?

Amid the rush of the shoppers trolling the stores for gifts and the constant bombardment of advertisements, I look for a quieter way to move through December.

Sure, my oven has been cranked up to full steam pretty regularly in order to work through two rounds of holiday baking, but I've parceled out the recipes over several nights so as not to be overwhelmed, and I only sent out nine goodie boxes this year.

But even with the hopped-up, sugar-and-caffeine-fueled holiday frenzy going on around me, I can still find moments of peace and delight.

One of those comes from the annual shipment from My Wonderful Parents of fresh citrus from down south. This year, their initial order got screwed up, and I ended up with a box of a dozen sugar navel oranges (hooray!) and about 8 ruby red grapefruit. Since they know I'm not a big fan of grapefruit, they contacted the shippers and arranged to have another dozen oranges (the remainder of the original order) sent shortly thereafter.

So here I am, prepared for the approaching winter weather (I'm waiting... still waiting!) with a serious stash of vitamin C that would make a sailor smile.


One orange has already made the ultimate sacrifice, giving its peel for sunshine cookies and its juice for the second pan of baklava. Others, I'm sure, will be squeezed into my morning juice glass over the holiday break, and I hope to make more candied orange peel again this year.

And, of course, it wouldn't be New Year's in my home without my famous Pie in the Sky.

So you'll excuse me if I draw back from the holiday rush, unwilling to venture out into the crowds. My gift-giving is nearly done, as is my baking, and I'm ready to sit back with my cookies and a glass of freshly-squeezed Florida orange juice. (Santa would be so jealous!)

I'm ready for Christmas. Orange you?

2 Comments:

At 12/20/2006 6:46 PM, Blogger Tina said...

*perks ears* Grapefruit? Did someone say grapefruit?

Funny coincidence, I was eating an orange as I read this!:-)

 
At 12/21/2006 7:42 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Y'know, you could make a road trip to collect some fresh grapefruit. I've still got four after giving a few away... I'm just sayin'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home