Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy Noodle Year!

My lovely, long, peaceful (mostly) winter break is almost over, but I still have a few treats up my sleeve.

I had one last movie in my pile to be watched, and I knew it required a special meal to go with it. I'd been told by a good friend a number of years ago that "Eat Drink Man Woman" was well worth watching, but only on a stomach full of good Chinese food.

Well, on New Year's Eve, my favorite Chinese place in town was closed, so I was left to fend for myself. Happily, I still had some bok choy in the refrigerator, as well as a can of water chestnuts and a can of coconut milk, so I was able to whip up a pot of Bangkok noodles.

I know, that's hardly a Chinese dish. But considering that what I saw prepared on screen was worthy of a top notch dim sum restaurant, nothing I made would begin to compete. So why not branch out in the region?


Sweetened slightly by the coconut milk but made savory by the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and curry powder, this quick dish makes an exotic sort of comfort food, but comfort food indeed it is.

After that (and a handful of buckeyes for dessert), I felt no need to stay up until midnight or even to toast the New Year at the same time as the Europeans. I've had my little pseudo-Chinese New Year, and that's good enough for me.

Happy New Year!

1 Comments:

At 1/07/2007 12:52 AM, Blogger curious servant said...

Happy new year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home