Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Christmas Cookie Caper

I know, I know, things have been pretty quiet here this week. That doesn't mean I haven't been busy, though. Here are the highlights from round 2 of this year's holiday baking:


Cappuccino Shortbread Truffles: Based on the basic recipe for chocolate charms, these little morsels have espresso powder and cinnamon added. They're hard little cookies, as shortbread goes, but they do have a buttery melt-in-the-mouth finish that makes them a decadent little treat.


Butter Pecan Turtle Bars: I found this recipe at Bake or Break and thought I'd give it a go for something new and different. I have to admit, I wasn't overly impressed because even with following the recipe to the letter, it didn't seem like it would hold together thanks to a crumbly crust, an insufficient amount of sugar syrup, and smudgy chocolate. They firmed up reasonably well, and they taste very good, but they're really on the sweet side for me. I don't think I'll make them again, but they were worth a try.


Sunshine Cookies: One of my new favorites, this original recipe is such a treat to make! I whipped these up on Saturday, using fresh orange peel from the box of oranges my Wonderful Parents sent from Florida, and the whole apartment smelled great! (But as you can see, I had to make lunch early so that I wouldn't devour all the cookies...)


Baklava: That's right, it's the second pan of baklava for the season. I think I ended up using more spiced nuts this time around, a little more butter, and a bit more honey in the syrup, resulting in a very decadent sweet delight. I also used orange juice instead of lemon in the syrup; it didn't make a significant difference, so that's good to know for future substitutions.


And all of these Christmas treats have been divvied up, wrapped up, and packed away in boxes and bags to deliver to more friends this week.

How sweet it is!

3 Comments:

At 12/18/2006 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sweet they were...oh hehe.

Question for you:
Are you using the new beta blogger? I have been having a heck of a time trying to post pictures correctly to the beta blogger. Most want to post sideways when they aren't even sideways pictures to begin with anyway.

 
At 12/20/2006 7:25 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Glad you enjoyed them! :-)

I haven't yet had the time to switch to the beta/Google version... maybe over break. Is there a FAQ you could check or someone you can send the question to? That's frustrating!

 
At 12/20/2006 6:55 PM, Blogger Tina said...

I don't even post pics through Blogger, I go directly through my Flickr account. I had to register my blog in my Flickr account, including my username and password, then pick a layout. After that, it went smoothly. You do have to go through Blogger if you decide you want to edit after you've posted, but the initial posting through Flickr is easy. Might be a good way around the problem if you can't get it fixed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home