Saturday, November 11, 2006

Do You Want Samosa?

The countdown now stands at just over 24 hours until my open house, and the refrigerator is filling up quickly. I picked up the last cheese from the deli this morning and whipped up a big batch of haydari (oh so tasty!) before turning my attention to the first big appetizer: samosas.

If you've been hanging around this blog for a while, you may have noticed that not only do I love Indian food, but I love cooking it at home. And when it comes to parties, homemade baked samosas often grace the buffet table.

Though I follow the basic samosas recipe from the New Moosewood Cookbook, I usually tweak the spices a little differently each time and never quite remember what I used the previous time. Today, I added the mustard seeds and coriander and cayenne called for in the recipe but also threw in cinnamon, chili powder, and a touch of turmeric.


By the way, if you're paying attention, yes, those are the edamame from the farmers' market instead of the usual peas. The potatoes, onion, and garlic all came from the farmers' market as well... yum!

I let the filling cool for a while before making the dough, a simple blend of unbleached and local whole wheat flour, salt, and organic nonfat yogurt. Then, while enjoying a good phone conversation with a friend, I rolled out pieces of the dough...


...filled them...


...and laid them on a greased baking sheet with a little extra oil brushed on top. (All right, two baking sheets... I made a lot!)


Soon enough, I had fragrant treats calling to me from the oven.


Now, just imagine those reheated tomorrow, with a goodly dollop of homemade chutney on the side. (Blueberry? Green tomato? Mint? You'll have your choice.)

Admit it. You know you want one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home