Friday, October 27, 2006

Quiche and Tell

By the end of the week, I was tired. Flat-out, knocked-down, dragged-out, exhausted beyond belief. And there I was with a refrigerator full of produce from last week's farmers' market, mocking me with its disheveled appearance.

But I felt a certain relief when I remembered that earlier this week I had cooked a pumpkin in preparation for the next new pumpkin recipe, and after that, the prep time would be negligible.

And so, I made a pumpkin quiche.

I don't reach for eggs too often as a comfort food, though I confess to enjoying the occasional hearty diner-type breakfast that features one whopper of an omelette. But when my strength has petered out and the weather is chilly to boot, a quiche sounds like just the thing to pick me back up.

That's not to say that it didn't wear me out in the making. It took me two sessions in the kitchen just to make the crust, but once I had the pie plate lined and set aside, whipping up the custard filling was a breeze. The usual egg and milk mixture, thickened with pureed pumpkin, took on a deliciously savory aroma with the addition of thyme, nutmeg, and grated Gruyère cheese.

While the quiche baked, I shredded some of the red cabbage I'd found at the market, and I braised it in a simple balsamic vinaigrette and some water, just to have a tangy sidekick to the rich creamy quiche.


The quiche itself, though tasty, disappointed me in that the pumpkin flavor was completely lost. (As you can see, there's not even a speck of orange to tell you it's there!) But the combination of cheesy quiche and vinegary cabbage made for a comforting meal.

And I'm feeling much better now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home