Sunday, October 15, 2006

Pesto Friends

You may have noticed that in my visit to the farmers' market yesterday, I bought basil twice: once in a pot, to satisfy my cravings for fresh basil throughout the winter, and once in a bag, to satisfy my immediate craving for pesto.

I love pesto, and since I've been dipping into this year's store of pesto cubes in the freezer already, I thought I'd better replenish my stores while I still could.

But even as I had that prudent thought, I also found myself tempted by the incomparably sassy Spicyflower's recent post about homemade pizza, thinking that since I didn't have pizza sauce at hand, perhaps a pesto pizza would be a nice treat.

What to do, what to do? Well, if you're me (and you're not, else you'd be the one writing this), you go ahead and make that batch of pesto... and smear it all over a homemade whole wheat pizza crust. Then, not satisfied with that, you'd slice a couple of ripe tomatoes and arrange them on top, with a mixture of good Parmesan and Asiago cheeses from the local deli sprinkled over them.


And once that fragrant basil and garlic and yeast aroma filled your home, you'd fairly swoon over the thought of lunch until the pizza had cooled enough to be eaten without blistering the roof of your mouth. Just one large wedge would be enough to satisfy your hunger, and you'd think that no store- or restaurant-bought pizza could possibly beat this meal, especially since you'll have it for lunches for the rest of the week.

At least that's me. And since you're not me, I am truly very sorry for you, because you're missing out on some truly fine pizza.

But the next time I make pesto, I'll let you know.

2 Comments:

At 10/17/2006 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pizza sounds great. All it needs is some anchovies or sausage.

 
At 10/18/2006 7:19 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Not in my household it doesn't!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home