Saturday, October 07, 2006

A Moving Experience

Well, I've done it.

After seven and a half years in my cozy cottage, I decided to give it all up and return to apartment living. As much as I've loved having my spacious, light-filled kitchen and studio, an herb garden right outside my kitchen door, and a large vegetable garden –- a place to call my own –- I realized that it was simply too much and made the choice to streamline my way of living. The reasons (financial, physical, environmental, social) are legion, and I'll not detail them here, but the die was cast at the beginning of the year, and today, my friends gathered to help me move the last of my things into my new place.

Though I know I'll miss the house, there's much to love about my loft. After all, it's not everyone who gets to cook in a beautifully tricked-out kitchen like this, with stainless steel countertops, racks for pots and pans, and a wicked good gas range with vent hood.


I might also add that the countertops and the range are higher than those at my house, making cooking much more comfortable for me at my height!

And though this smaller kitchen space has much less storage space than the kitchen at the house, a nearby coat closet has provided a convenient and creatively arranged pantry.

So after the farmers' market this morning, I started working in the kitchen to prepare a couple of favorite Indian dishes for my hard-working movers. I started a pot of channa saag (spinach and chickpeas, an homage to a favorite Indian restaurant) and threw a potato dish (alu ki sabzi) into the crockpot, then cleaned up before heading back to the house to finish packing and to do some cleaning.

After three loads moved with the help of two good friends, I called it quits for myself and devoted the rest of the afternoon to finishing the dinner and unpacking more of my boxes. My three faithful guys –- Mr. Nice Guy, the Tall Guy, and Linux Man –- continued the push, setting up the sound system so that I could have music while I cooked, and then packed up the rest of my furniture and hauled it over and up to the new place.

Though the Tall Guy had to duck out early, I packed up a "takeaway" dinner for him before serving the other two. These fellows may be notoriously easy to please, but they appeared exceptionally satisfied with the meal, accompanied by my homemade blueberry-ginger chutney and some cider from the local market.


And when it came to dessert, well, there's no doubt that they had their just reward: all the chai spice shortbread and ginger molasses cookies they could eat, with more to take with them.

Now that everything is here and I can start to get settled in a new home, I can kick back this evening with a few more cookies of my own. It's been a hectic month or so –- a year of living in limbo, really –- and it's good to see the end of this change in sight. I count myself very lucky to have had the support and help of so many good friends throughout all of this.

Let the next adventure begin!

4 Comments:

At 10/10/2006 5:49 AM, Blogger M said...

Oh, your kitchen is beautiful! I also find stainless steel countertops the best. I'm moving into a new flat myself this week (been painting for ages now... got the keys almost a motn ago!), and if you're interested you can see a picture of my kitchen (the furniture isn't mine, but the old lodgers) and balcony here:

http://mattemove.blogspot.com/2006/08/lycklig.html

 
At 10/10/2006 8:34 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Yes, I'm enjoying the new kitchen very much, though I find I have to clean up after myself often... not enough room to leave a mess about! (Fortunately, it cleans up easily!)

Your new kitchen looks great, too... all that light! Hope you enjoy it!

 
At 10/10/2006 12:08 PM, Blogger Spicyflower said...

YaY! All done. :)

And thanks again for showing around the new place, it's a great place and I know you'll be happy there.
Oh, and I introduced myself to the woman at the pastry shop as your friend. We talked quite a bit when Dad and I stopped by on Friday morning for a pastry. She was very pleasant to chat with too. So yeah.

 
At 10/10/2006 1:24 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I'm certainly happy baking here so far! :-)

Isn't she a lovely woman? And she's so helpful, too. I need to stop by someday and try the rolled omelette as well as her homemade yogurt... not to mention have another slice of my favorite walnut torte!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home